1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electronic Musos: Slow filter sweeps? How?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FbassDave, Apr 4, 2009.

1. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    I play bass in a deep/soulful house act with a percussionist and a DJ. I've been using a Dunlop Crybaby 105Q for the kind of slow but fairly drastic filter sweeps on the bass you hear in these styles: Sort of a HPF thing were the bass line goes from full-range to sub lows, then slowly builds back up to full range again and LPF where the bass completely thins out and then drops back in for imapact. I incorporate subtle envelope filter and phaser into the chain when I try to do this, but I can't quite match what i hear on recordings and I'm getting frustrated...

The 105Q only applies the effect to the mids and highs, leaving the low end clean. Great in most applications, but not this one. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can achieve what DJ's/producers can do with knobs, live?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, a Moog MF101 with an expression pedal. :) There are a few other options, but that's prob. the first one you should explore.

3. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    Thanks Bongo. I'd be curious to know what else you had in mind too :)

Based on some looking around on the web, it would seem that a Line 6 FM4 or maybe a Pigtronix Ep-1 with a pedal in the CV in might get me in the ballpark too...

4. An FM4 has the advantage that you can have up to four presets in memory, or eight if you know the expression pedal trick. It also has a blend knob to adjust how much original vs filtered signal you want. Definitely worth a try, in my opinion.

Here's a clip. It can be set to sweep a lot slower which I assume is what you want.

5. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    *Looks around, confused * :)

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Would a Meatball or clone thereof do that?

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    There are other options, but really the Moog is king for this.

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I just responded to your thread on gearslutz, but i'll say it here too: Barge Concepts 'the Grinder.' In the other thread you mentioned the need for a highpass filter as well, and of the available options I think the Grinder or a Meatwad would be your best bet.

The Moog definitely is king of lowpass filters.

Also an FYI- you have your LPF and HPF mixed up- generally when you sweep the highpass it will sweep the bass out leaving only the highs, and as you sweep a lowpass open the highs will begin to come through.

9. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Ever tried the Ibanez Wd7 Weeping Demon?

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you do actually want high pass, try and find a Frostwave Resonator. It's a clone of the filter section from the Korg MS-20 synth.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And being as he's in Oz, his odds of finding one used, at a decent price in local currency, are better than most of us would have.

12. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    Moog for the lowpass, with expression pedal. For sure.

As far as high pass, good luck... A good hpf is hard to find.

J

13. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I think the Grinder does a pretty good job as a highpass. OP- I hadn't thought to use my Grinder like this until reading your post/question, so i tried it out at practice today. Here's a little clip from the jam earlier, of a simple sweep with an expression pedal. In highpass in the lower frequency detents, the signal passes through unfiltered with the heel down (heel down when set to an upward sweep; set to a downward sweep it is reversed), and by turning the 'envelope' level all the way down as you would with a moog lpf, it works as brick wall highpass.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7493968

I kept the depth at about 75% (on the dial) so you'll hear the full range of the sweep at the current setting, but with the depth maxed there's quite a bit more available sweep range. I'm using the MP201 plugged into the 'depth' input which works as the frequency cutoff.

14. the prometheus in the reverse filter mode, WHOMP, or down wah...whatever, i use it that way sometimes

but anything with an expression pedal will give you the best control