Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

electronic tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mike Kurdziolek, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Mike Kurdziolek

Mike Kurdziolek

Jun 17, 2003
    I'm new at this,so help.When tuning with an electronic tuner what would be a middle of the road freq to use while playing to music on my stereo? pref r&r.

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly...

You want to be able to tune in Standard Tuning (E,A,D,G) before confusing yourself with other tunings, so we'll stick with Standard (lots of rock songs are in standard tuning anyway).

Not sure what kind of tuner you have. I have a Korg GA-20 and it's real easy to tune with it. All I have to do is pluck, say, the E string. If it's in tune the needle will go right to the middle and the green light will light up. If it's a little flat the red light will light up on the left side, if a little sharp, the red light on the right. The needle will show you how flat or sharp you are. (My tuner has 440 Hz shown in the middle, but I don't want to confuse you with frequencies. I confuse myself sometimes LOL).

3. Mike Kurdziolek

Mike Kurdziolek

Jun 17, 2003
    Thanks 4 your help,i use the CA-30 and understand the standard tuning but i've noticed that there is a big difference in the tones in respect to the HZ you r using, I tune @ 440 right now but noticed that i'm a bit deeper than i want 2 b, i guess the only thing 2 do is to experiment with it until i get the sound i'm looking 4, I've only been playing 4 about a year and there r alot of things i dont understand but still have fun with it. I hope i made my question clearer than @ first but if u have any other suggestions please enlighten me. ty

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    You don't want to tune to anything other than 440 unless you are playing with an instrument, like a brass or woodwind instrument, that can't get quite in tune. 440 hz is what's called "Concert A" tuning. If, let's say, you we're playing with someone who was a little sharp you would reset your tuner to 441 or 442 to compensate for them. Don't confuse the tuning frequency with the tone that your bass produces.