Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronical Bass For a Rainy Morning (or, another new bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Feb 26, 2004.

1. The rains came down, and my new bass showed up, thanks to Adrian Garcia. I was down to three basses and decided to do something about it. This Ken Lawrence Associate 5 string joins its other esteemed colleagues in the funkycarnivore stable. And it rocks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Congrats F/C. How was your experience dealing with Access bass? I know Adrian is a member here. That is a wonderful bass. I can't keep as many basses as you but I do try to have one bass with a dark fretboard (rosewood ,Wenge), And one with a maple board. Also I like to have a Jazz style an a soapbar style. If you don't mind me asking what are your preferences in the type of differences you like in your basses? PS. thanks for getting my gas juices flowing :D Eric

3. As any Accessbass customer will tell you, dealing with Adrian is hassle-free. I shot him an email about the bass, had a brief phone conversation, and the deal was done. Since he's only one state away, it got here safely in two days.

Typically, I'm not too systematic about what basses I choose to have, but I'd say the thing I value most tonally is either versatility or a really well-defined singularity. Right now, I'd say that my Tyler five string is a versatile machine--I usually bring it along if I'm not quite sure what sort of material I'll be playing. A close second is my Lakland Joe Osborn--you can always use a Jazz Bass. The MTD 535 is a unique and beautiful instrument that to my ears isn't always appropriate for the situation, but it does what it does magically. I'm still getting used to this new KL (and digging it a whole lot), so I don't know where it's going to fit, but blue is my favourite finish on a bass, and this one is extremely beautiful in sound and looks.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are the front and back pictures really off the same bass? There's such a radical difference between them! I'm not too keen on the aesthetic effect of all the different coloured sections (very tasty front, pale pickups, dark wood cavity cover on the back, etc) and would prefer a more consistent theme. The bridge and tuners look nice and solid though ... the kind of bass I'd like to play with my eyes closed :D

Does it look as much of a mongrel in real life or do the different elements blend together?

Wulf

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Jeeze man, that bass just isn't pretty enough! Seriously good looking axe. Congrats!

6. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I have bought (2) basses from Adiran and have a 3rd
    (Nordstrand) on order. He has really gone way beyond
    the call of duty for me more than once. I would hesitate
    to recommend him for all of your bass related purchases! :D
    Btw..Thats a real beauty.
    Dan

7. I've had this one for a few weeks now and it's become my main player. I love it!

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    how did i miss this thread laden with pretty pictures and adoration? :D
    Funky, I MISS that bass! man, I am glad you are diggin it, I really loved the feel, the light weight and the look of the thing- thanks for the kind words.( you, too, Dan! )
    I am not surprised that its you main bass, though- it is a nice organic tone and the 34 in scale played like a dream, I love Myrtlewood for a top and ash for a body--- enjoy!- A

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I talked to Ken last week about re-fretting my Brase and putting in abalone blocks on the fretboard and mentioned that Funky had bought that bass. Ken said it was one of his recent favorites and was really happy with the way it turned out. He also said it was one of the lightest 5's he has done.

Anyway, my Brase goes back to the shop tomorrow - kind of mixed feelings, but I don't play fretless enough to justify having it just sit there!

Dan K.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    shhh. Dan, don't tell anyone, but i liked it better than the walnut Unity-- :bag:
    extremely light and versatile- another big thumbs up for ash! and KL!

11. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Hey Funky,

I just noticed this thread while doing a search for "Tyler". Do you still have and play the Tyler? (I was always impressed by how much you seemed to like the Tyler.)

Thanks,
    Pat