Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronically Inclined: Where do you buy your stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Most DIY Effects builders etc I've talked to seem to hate Radio Shack, but it seems to be the only major retailer of electronics. I went to stewmac.com and everything seemed a little expensive there too.

I need to buy a few switches, pots, some wire, and whatnot. I even checked out Small Bear, but their stock list is down. :meh: Where should I go? Should I settle for Radio Shack/StewMac.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    there are quite a few places. WDmusic.com. Warmoth also has good parts. Mojotone.com is a bit more amp oriented, but still good. mouser electronics has all kinds of stuff for any kind of project. It will be my main supplier for a few pedal prijects I will be working on soon.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cameltraders.com

5. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Ditto parts express - they rock.

6. www.frys.com

You can't really shop online, but if you are price shopping, give them a call. They are a silicon valley electronic parts company that I used for years. Big stores with just about everything. If they are popular with Silicon Valley techies, you know they've got the goods.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    For what it's worth Fry's online shopping site is www.outpost.com but the selection and prices tend to be inferior to their brick and mortar stores.

brad cook

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Mouser, Digi-Key, Allied, MCM Electronics, and McMaster-Carr get the bulk of my business. All are online. Radio Shack can order a whole lot of stuff too, if you know exactly what to ask for, and my local dealer is often competitive on pricing.

9. Wieh I was an engineer for the Rainforest Cafe we ordered our electronics from Orvac. They may only be for businesses though.

joe

10. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    digi-key has been good in my experience.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN

+1 for Digi-key and McMaster-Carr. I used to have a job where I had to buy lots of various small electronic parts for the PCBs we were creating or having created, and they always did a really good job of helping me out.

Newark Electronics, if they're still around, is pretty good, too.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Between McMaster and DigiKey, you could seriously take over the world. I could spend hours reading those catalogs.

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Does anyone else think that Radio Shack is all but useless now? They got rid of their parts to sell more cell phones and RC cars. Is anyone really buying CB radios anymore?

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha! Good point Foley. Thanks for the links guys.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    They have everything except man-eating bears, which is what my "take over the world" plan hinges on. That, and very small cowboy hats.

So I just read the magazines and sigh.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    lol :D

17. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    My dad wrote "Stolen from George Plaisance" on the front of his McMaster Carr catalog that he keeps at work because people kept taking it. I didn't know McMaster Carr had a good selection of electronics. I've always just bought mechanical hardware type stuff from them. That has to be the biggest catalog in existance. You can't really call it a magazine when its bigger than the dictionary :)

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Newark's online here: http://www.newark.com/
    My main beef with them is that they want big orders a lot of the time, but OTOH they will custom order some very hard to get stuff, like custom value Clarostat pots for instance.

One of my former bosses buys so much stuff from McMaster that the sales guys all know him by voice. They are especially handy for mechanical components, but they do stock plenty of electronic components as well. Good for cabling, relays, enclosures, switches, fuses, etc.

19. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Radio Shack is a joke. I went in today to get some speaker wire and the salesman didn't know what speaker wire is. But he was sure that whatever it is, Monster is the way to go.

Anyway, digikey, mouser, angela, and hoffmanamps are all good online sources for parts, and analogman will predrill boxes for you if needed.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ha!

brad cook