Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

electronics cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fourstr00, Dec 27, 2002.

1. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I use a Carvin LB76 with active electronics. I was cleaning the outputs on my amp with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol, just routine stuff, when I got to thinking...

What's the best way to clean the output jack on my bass? I guess a little rubbing alcohol would do fine, but I thought I'd ask first, since I love my bass more than my amp.

Hope I'm on the right forum

2. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i've never used rubbing alcohol....but i'd be inclined to use a specific contact cleaner like servisol.

i normally spray a little switch cleaner on a jack and then push it into the socket and give it a few twists.

HTH

:)

3. Rubbing alcohol is fine, anything that evaporates quickly is quite fine. I use Methylated spirits sometimes. The best (and its what i used at the place of study for all my soldering cleaning) was Isopropyl Alcohol. You can buy the stuff in bottles from the chemist for real cheap.

Either that or WD40/RP7 does the trick but leave it a little because it is oil based and evaporates slower than alcohol.

:D:D

Merls