Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronics for OLP bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowEndFish, Sep 21, 2004.

1. LowEndFish

LowEndFish

Sep 21, 2004
    Anyone ever put active electronics in an OLP bass? I've got one and just don't have the money for a MusicMan, so I thought I'd make an upgrade with active electronics. I've upgraded passive pickups in my other bass before and had to make it fit, but I was wondering if it's a hassle making changes to the OLP. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I did this a while ago to an OLP which I wound up selling due to need of cash. But, anyway, I used the Seymour Duncan Basslines Musicman replacement system (pickup and preamp) - Alnico version with a stacked bass and treble pot so it could fit the OLP's control plate. Now, the only problem with putting a preamp in an OLP is that the control cavity is too small for the preamp board and the 9 volt battery. So, I had to have a battery box (like the real stingrays) routed out and installed in the back. Once this was done, the preamp was a snap to install (if you're good with soldering, of course) and to tell you the truth, it sounded pretty damn good. It sounds as close to the "real" stingray tone as you can get but it doesn't 100% nail it. The only thing that could nail it is a real stingray itself. Ernie Ball makes unique preamps. But, in any event, it does sound real good and you'd be happy with it. But that's just my opinion.

Or others out there would say, why spend the money on the OLP and electronics upgrade and just get your hands on a used S.U.B.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Good Luck.

3. LowEndFish

LowEndFish

Sep 21, 2004
    How much did the upgrade cost you, from start to finish? Also, do you have any pics of it?

- Aaron

4. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Well, let's see. I purchased the musicman replacement system (both pickup and preamp) from www.dguitarparts.com for about $190. You might be able to find it cheaper on ebay. As far as the routing and battery box, I contacted www.guitar-er.com. I sent them the bass body and they routed out the battery box hole and installed the box for about $50. The turn around time was pretty quick....like a week. I installed the preamp and pickup myself because I'm pretty good at soldering. And that's pretty much it. Sorry but I don't have any pictures of it.