1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electronics for Progressive Metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by snail415, Oct 8, 2017.

1. snail415

snail415

Oct 8, 2017
    All,

I acquired a lefty MTD Kingston Heir 5 lefty. Great instrument out the gate, but want a very specific combination of preamp/pickups together to get a very compressed, yet well-voiced tone from the bass.

It has an MM/J configuration, with 5 knobs. I intend to add mid selection and series/parallel switching.

I've literally watched every video on YouTube that might shed light on this, with questions still. Here are the combinations I'm contemplating:

1. OPB3 with Bartolini Original MM and Classic J

2. OPB3 with EMGs

3. Lakland HL-3 with Barts.

I want good attack and brick-like waveforms (I record direct 99% of the time), but not the commonly-sterile EMG sound. If Barts can get adequately squeezed with an outboard plugin/compressor, than this is an easy decision. I struggle more with preamps; I want the right frequencies and lots of flexibility.

If anyone wants to get a feel for what I'm after, my music is on SoundCloud/snail415.

Thanks all,
    Justin

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Justin. Two comments on this part:

1. If you want the right frequencies, then you must either be able to say which they are (center freq. or freq. range per band) to source a solution OR be willing to do some trial and error to find a solution by proof.

2. For flexibility, try the Audere Classic 4 Band preamp with mid frequency selector.

The Michael Pope Flex Core preamp could work for you, too, but I never played one (except for the custom for Fodera versions) and can't vouch for it.

Lastly, though I can vouch for the Nordstrand 2-band preamp (I love the 2B-4C), I never owned the Nordstrand 3-band preamp, which I think would be the version for you.

Good luck!