electronics help needed Ken smith replica

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funk generator, Mar 21, 2011.

1. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Hey guys.
    Im currently finishing up a project and need pre advice.

I got a neck through Ken smith replica here and just finished having the neck profiled to match my Nordstrand.

Next step is picking the preamp and pickups.

Im going for a really bassy very low sound, kinda like a modulus. Growl is nice, but my nordy jazz takes care of that.

I was thinking of going with a Bart 3 band and 2 duel coil J worrell pickups. Does anyone have experience with these?

Also Is it possible to wire the pickups individually to go series/single/parallel? Plus possibly adding a mid frequency switch.

thanks guy!

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    How about Ken Smith pups and preamp?

3. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Can they be bought direct from ken smith? its so crazy it just might work!! ;) This one is also going to be fretless btw.

Its kinda sad that i didnt think of that lol. do you happen to know the size of normal duel coil smith pups? these routs are roughly emg35 size

4. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    thank mate :)
    Im really loving the preamp specs, I doubt the pickups will fit on account of A the rout size, and B the fact my replica is 19mm spacing and the highest KS seems to go is 18mm
    I hope i can pull it off thouhg. Im deffinatly going with a smith bridge i think

Edit: that made no sence, if the pickups wolnt work due to spacing neither will the bridge :/

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    The 5 wide model is 19mm

6. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Oh thank you so much!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021