Electronics issues with Peavey Sarzo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wireking1, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I have a Peavey Rudy Sarzo model bass from the late 80's. Recently I have run into a signal level problem.

The problem is that I can't seem to get the proper signal level from this bass. I have changed batteries. When I plug it in to my rig, it sends the faintest of signals. When I run my QSC RMX-1450 way loud, with level set way high on sansamp and my pre turned up I can hear a very faint signal coming through.

Switching the active/passive switch seens to have no effect. The terminals that you attach the battery to seem to be kinda fishy. The connection does not seem to be that great. If I play with the connection I get a failrly loud click when the terminals and battery connect better.

Anyone got any ideas for me given the problem description?
  2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I sold my Sarzo bass (same era) because the proprietary electronics seemed like an accident waiting to happen with little or no recourse. I suggest replacing them with a Bart Pre-amp or something standard if possible.
  3. I had give this some consideration. I would assume that this is not be a difficult task. Any suggestions on a preamp replacement? Did you care for the pickups on the sarzo? I wish I could replace the elecronics and pickups to Barts or similar quality stuff. I wonder if there are pickups that would drop into the routes for the peavey soapbars?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had a Sarzo with a preamp that went DOA. I replaced it with an aguilar obp-3 preamp, it sounded great.
    In terms of replacement pickups, there really isn't anything the same shape available. you could use some other mfr's pickups, but you'd have to route some space.
  5. I have had some weird trouble trying solve my preamp problems. I removed the old Peavey preamp and installed an Aguilar OBP-3. Still got no signal so I installed a new jack. Still nothing.

I am at a loss. New jack. New Preamp. Does this leave the pickups? I am as positive as I can be that the pre is wired correctly.

Any ideas of where to go from here (besides my local professional).
  6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I assume you have checked the amp by trying it with another bass?
  7. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    The Aguilar OBP3 is fantastic if you are ok with boost only tone controls. I think it has a wonderful warm and natural tone that kicks into gear the more you boost it! As far as those pickups, I'm afraid your stuck. I really hate when manufacturers don't use pickups that have standard routes.
  8. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    FYI...the OBP3 is cut/boost. The OBP1 is boost-only. Both are great preamps.
  9. Yes. I checked the amp and it works fine. I went ahead and took it to the local guitar electronics guru. I just hope I do not have to replace the pickups.

I just started looking at pickups and am kinda at a loss. The Bartoloni MM p/u looks like it would fit pretty well. Anyone haver any opinions?