1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electronics/Pickup Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pseudoxh4, Feb 23, 2008.

1. pseudoxh4

pseudoxh4

Jul 26, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey,
    I have an Ibanez ATK300 that I bought second hand.
    For some reason, when I turn up the bass and mid, I get this unusual distortion effect.
    Attached is an MP3 where I start out with treble all the way up, then turn up the mid, then the bass, then the volume.
    The problem is most apparent when the bass is turned up.
    I replaced the battery, so that isn't the problem; it might be worth noting that one of the wires connecting the battery snapped from the battery plug and I had to resolder it on, but the problem existed prior to that.
    I don't think it's my amp, as I plugged the bass into my friend's amp only to get the same problem.
    Does anyone know what the problem could be?
    Better yet, whether the problem lies within the pickups or the preamp?
    I'm tempted to replace both with MusicMan pickups and preamp, but it'd help to know if it's fixable before I spend $200+ on new electronics.
    Thanks for any responses!

Attached Files:

2. The only thing that I could think of is that your signal is way too hot. Perhaps lower your pickups.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I second the pickup height recommendation. Check out the specs up top as a starting point.

It's also possible there is something wrong with the pickup or preamp. That would probably mean replacing. But a poorly setup instrument can do what you describe.

4. pseudoxh4

pseudoxh4

Jul 26, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for the responses.
    I lowered the pickup height, but the problem persists.

5. bump for OP.

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    If you turn down the volume control on the bass, does it persist?

It sounds like the preamp is getting overdriven, but it might just have too hot an output for most amps too. One of my basses constantly overdrives my Roland mixer, but is fine with my amp.

Check to see if the preamp has any trim pots... maybe it has a gain control that someone turned all the way up.

Also, some preamps have too much gain on the tone controls. It's possible you just can't crank those knobs all the way up. But try turning the volume control down and see if that helps.

It's the preamp, not the pickup. At the very least replacing the preamp should fix it. No need to replace the pickup, unless you just don't like it.

7. pseudoxh4

pseudoxh4

Jul 26, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for the response.
    The problem persists when the volume is turned down.
    The thing is, even if I turn the bass knob up a little, the bass sounds somewhat distorted.
    I'll check for trim pots when I get the chance.
    I guess I'll also look into a possible preamp replacement that allows me to use the ATK's pickup, but I got the impression that none existed.