Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronics question, but I'm not getting responses over there...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Probably a pretty boring question for them, though I searched and searched...
    Hopefully folks will respond to this one ;)

So, I just can't afford a pair of Aero pups, and am considering a single humbucker with a coil tap. I've never had an HB before: is it odd to have only the one pickup and to switch between the dual-coil and a single single-coil? Are there reasons not to do it?

I'm having a heck of a time finding the right pups for a passive 6-string setup, probably because I've never re-rewired my old basses, nor upgraded their pups.

I'm pretty much set on a purely passive (not active with bypass) for the new build, and gathered that Aeros were a great choice...I'm tired now: it's past my bed time.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you split a single HB you usually will not get hum-cancelling. That's one reason why you might not go this route. The other is that A lot of the flexibility you get out of a two-pickup system has to do with the placement of the coils. In a HB they are basically in the same place and you won't get a great difference in tone between the two coils.

Personally, I like a single humbucking pickup with no coil tap. You can get a lot of variation out of your right hand position in such a setup. I've sold a few basses with just the one humbucker and people seem to like it. Otherwise, Why not get a pair of split single coils?

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Because when it comes to wiring and pup terminology, I'm retarded. :eek: Oops, that wasn't very politically correct :eyebrow: . I'm challenged :D .

So, split single coils are basically two single coils in one pup housing? I'll go see if I can find some more info on them...

edit:

Okay, so that was stupid. split single coil = p-type pup...got it. I'm trying to go passive, and Aeros come highly recommended with passive (don't know of any others that do as well, though I'm open to suggestions). I did twin J's (Nordstrands) with my first build (5 string) and like them (though not the Aguilar, at least not nearly as much as I thought I would...probably faulty shielding/grounding). I'd like to get as much bang for the buck out of this one (albeit, passively) but am at a loss with all the various options. Gotta keep reading...

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Split single coils come in J packages as well as P. You could do two splits in a single package - those are generally referred to as "quad coils". I was more suggesting two split-coil J pickups. Like Bartolini's G6. If you already have a bass with that config, maybe you want something different. But dual and quad coil pickups are always a bunch more expensive as the coils are where the expense comes from.

If you want bang for your buck, Aero is probably not the best supplier. Maybe you could get big fat musicman style triple coil. Does Aero make one for six string? Does Kent Armstrong make a humbucker?

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    An associate may have guided me in a different direction earlier today, so I'm open to suggestions on other makers. I sent an email through the Armstrong website today, but probably won't hear back until Monday. What kind of tone do the dual and quad coil provide? I like the Bart growl (yup, I'm typical) but I also like a solid upper-mid and high for tapping and for slap in the high frets.

6. How much were they gonna run you? i've been considering them but i cant find a price on them..

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I hope I'm not breaking etiquette here with this: about $270 each (K6jd Type 4 CTSHB) without covers...$50 more each for covers. So, with covers, that would have been $640 for a pair.

8. Thanks a bunch!! a little pricy, but it's a quality pup so i'll swing it for my baby :D

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Good luck! I guess I'll just have to settle for Nordstrands...wait, did I just say "settle?"