Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronics question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZZMorgan, Aug 30, 2004.

1. ZZMorgan

ZZMorgan

Sep 6, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum, but I would like some links to pages with basic instructions in electronic circuitry.
    I am trying to increase my knowledge of exactly how the circuitry works, both in an onboard preamp and in an amp, how the signal is processed exactly to get the variations in tone, how it splits to the separate controls for different frequencies, etc. The electronic components involved, what each one does and how it does it.

I know which general frequency ranges are affected by each eq control (and how to get the sound I want). My question is more basic -- how is it done, electronically?

Any helpful links would be welcome.

ZZ Morgan

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Check the schematic sites, like schematicheaven.com, blueguitar.org, ampage, and the diy sites. It'll take more than surfing web sites to learn electronics though. Probably a trip to the local library would be a good idea. Audio electronics are a "specific" instance of something much more general, and it'll be difficult to understand the specific application without first understanding the general theory. There are good electronics resources on the ham radio sites too, check some of those too, like arrl.org.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

All of the above mentioned ones are good, and I mention them myself frequently.

Here's another one, with pretty good specific info on circuit design and component choices : http://sound.westhost.com/projects.htm

If you really want to understand circuit design, I'd recommend that you get a SPICE simulation software setup going, and run lots of component changes to see what that does. Naturally, building some of those circuits is even better.

4. Funny this gets posted today.

Yesterday I was at a friend's store (amplifier and keyboard repair) and I asked what I thought was a simple question as he was recapping a '63 Deluxe; why would you have a resistor running parallel to a filter cap?

I had 3 years of High School Electricity and Electronics and dabbled in stuff here and there, so I expected to have an idea once a bone was thrown my way- but I totally got a "Charlie Brown's Teacher" answer. "Wah wah wah wah wahwah wah wah..." I forgot more stuff in 15 years than I even knew. :D

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  6. ZZMorgan

ZZMorgan

Sep 6, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for the answers. They are very helpful!

I've got some study to do. No question.

ZZ Morgan