1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electronics Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joelpilling, Dec 27, 2006.

1. joelpilling

joelpilling

Dec 27, 2006
    Hey guys, I have a Schecter Omen-5 bass and whenever I turn the any of the knobs it gives me alot of buzz/scratch sound. I looked inside but all seems good, do any of you know what could be causing this and how to repair it? Also from time to time the cable drops signal, wiggling it fixes this though, I have come to realize its the guitars fault on that and not the cables.

It has active Diamondbass pickups, the battery is new.

Thanks much!

2. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    The most likely culprit for the signal dropout is a poor solder joint on the jack socket of the bass, or dirty/tarnished contacts. Open up the bass and examine the socket under a good bright light. Bad solder joints have a dull, cloudy appearance; good ones look bright and shiny. If you see a bad one, re-solder it (I'm assuming you know how to do this - you really should). You can clean the contacts with (wait for it...) Contact Cleaner and a cotton bud. Do NOT use WD40 !

The noisy pots could likewise just need a bit of contact cleaner squirted inside them, but I suspect there's more to the probem than mere dirt. The fact that all of them are affected suggests that there may be a fault in your active circuitry (a failed capacitor on the circuit board, for example) that is allowing DC from the battery to reach the signal line. Clean the pots anyway, and check all of their solder joints, just as you did for the socket.

There is one final possibility, albeit a remote one. It's just possible that your amplifier has developed a similar fault that is allowing DC to reach the input jack. When you plug in your bass, this DC will affect the pots in the same fashion. To rule this in/out, try plugging your bass into someone else's amp, or plug another active bass into your amp and compare results.

If these measures don't cure the problem, you'll need to have the bass (or your amp) looked at by a tech.