Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronics upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iplaybass, Feb 14, 2001.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I have a Warwick Streamer Std with 2 pickups(5 string), both MEC "passive soapbar" (whatever that is, ive heard of active soapbar but never passive. They are slightly smaller than the humbucker on the Stingray and certain G&L's, with no polepieces.) The bass sounds very good, but i was slightly upset with its lack of active electronics, which makes it fairly quiet compared to my other bass. I was wondering if it would be possible to add in an active tone control(no pickup replacement) for better sounds and increased volume. I checked out the cavity, there is plenty of room(about 10 cubic inches of free space). About how much would this cost, and where is the best place to get hardware like this?

2. This is no problem. Passive soapbars are common. Ay good preamp will do the job, and should be compatible with your pups. Bartolini, Aguilar, Seymour Duncan all make good ones, and any decent guitar tech can install it.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I highly recommend the <a href="http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/obp1.html">Aguilar OBP-1 preamp.</a> I installed it in a bass w/EMG's & it sounds better than anything I've ever palyed. It can be installed in a bass w/passive pick-up's as well.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Your amp has a volume control for a reason :eek:

You can always add preamps it's a question of how much work is it (i.e. do s it require routing and drilling). Duncan Basslines, EMG and Bartolini all make preamps you could use.

Personally I have yet to find a bass with active EQ where I found any need for it. A good bass doesn't need lots of EQ :)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Some really good basses come w/crappy pick-up's & electronics, i.e. MIM Fenders. :) I'm not implying that the replacements should be active.

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I did turn up my amp, but unfortunately it doesnt give me the headroom i need when im gigging. Also, my amp lacks dedicated active/passive specific inputs.