electronics work in DC area?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jmattis, Aug 27, 2009.

1. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    Can anyone recommend someone for top-notch electronics work in the DC area. I've got basic soldering skills, but my work always comes out ugly, and I'm looking for someone to do a super clean pickup install for me.

Have any of you used Jong at Jive Sound or Action Music for this? How'd it turn out? Thanks!

2. You're wasting your money paying someone to do this for you.

Soldering a a fairly simple skill to master, you just need some practice at it.

I would recommend that you work on your soldering skills until you can do neat and clean work, then you will never have to waste money paying techs to do it for you again.

Edit: Installing pickups is fairly expensive too. You are looking at maybe $30 to install new pickups. That's money in the toilet when you can do it yourself.

3. im all for DIY so i recommend you try to stick to that.

but if if all else fails someone at action music in Arlington or at melodee music in sterling might be able to help you out...

4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Tomy Lepson at Prototypes 240-223-0020
    Mike Colburn at Pro Tech 240-450-0308

Both are factory authorized repair for Fender, Ampeg, etc; both have really good techs and can do restoration style / pro grade work; make sure you specify this

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021