Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tormato, Jul 15, 2004.

1. tormato

May 25, 2004
    Hey. I was wondering if anyone here knows roughly how much it would cost to have your wiring totally re-done. I have a 79 Ric that I bought a while ago off of Ebay, and the electronics are butchered. There isn't even anything connecting to the Ric-O-Sound jack!
  2. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Probably cost more or less depending on where you are and who you find to do the work. When you say "redone" do you mean replaced with new stuff, or have the original wiring sorted out and repaired?
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Are the pickups intact? If so, the rest is a piece of cake. Are you in LA? If so, bring it over. I'll do your wiring for free (as a courtesy to a fellow TB'er), and have it done inside of 15 minutes. Been doin' that kind of thing for many years, do it on all my own basses, and for some well known people in the biz too. Drop me an e-mail if you're in the area and you're interested.
  4. tormato

May 25, 2004
    nah sorry, not anywhere near LA, but yes, the pickups are (as far as i know) intact. the problem i'm having is that whenever the pickup selector is in the middle position to use both pickups, the sound is very weak and hollowish. weird, but as far as the wiring, it needs replacing cos i butchered it when i rewired it myself (ie: tape, speaker wire, glue, etc.). these two younger guys that own a small guitar shop say they can have it done in a week, but i need to show it to them so they can get a relative idea as to how much i'm gonna need to spend.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I don't suppose your wiring is anything like this?

That seems to be a fairly common mod. Anyhow, the "correct" wiring is on the Rick site, here:

Really, it should be a no-brainer to rewire a guitar. Unless there are pickup problems. If your pickups are okay, then in the worst case you might have to replace some pots and caps and a switch. You're lookin' at about 30 bucks in parts, tops. If they have to replace "everything", it might take an hour. Maybe. So my guess would be, minimum bench charge.
  6. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    also, the Rickosound jack being unwired is not necessarily a bad thing. I bought a 76 Ric 4001, and the Rickosound jack has a metal plug in it! and I don't care! I love the sound of the two pickups together (when they're wired correctly of course!), and don't see the point of having each pickup running separately. it makes much more sense to me to split the signal after it's left the bass. but that's just me!
  7. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Sounds like the pickups are out of phase.