1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by UncleBalsamic, Jul 17, 2007.

1. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Does this circuit work? It's meant to have Treble, Bass, Volume, Blend and a Passive switch and tone.

acblendpassive.

I don't really know much about electronics so this is most likely wrong, if it is can you point out the mistakes.

Thanks for your help.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    It looks right. There's not much to screw up, just follow the Aguilar wiring digram for Volume Blend Treble Bass, then add the Tone control, as it looks like you already did. If I were you, and there was enough room in the control cavity, I'd have the Volume and Tone pots as Push/Pull pots. the Tone control would switch Tone in and out, and the Volume would bypass the preamp. I think for the preamp bypass, you'd just need a DPDT switch. In one position, the Blue wire from the preamp goes to the Volume control, and the Green wire from the preamp goes to the Output, and in the other position, the Blue wire from the preamp goes to the Output, and the Green wire from the preamp goes to Ground. I think.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    As an addition to that, if you could find a 3PDT push/pull pot, you could have the battery ground wire connected to the Ring side of the jack in the first position, and nothing in the second, so that when the preamp is bypassed, the battery isn't still being drained.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Wait, sorry, I did notice a problem just now. Why is the Battery Hot wire going to the pickups? Are you using active pickups?

5. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Yeah, that wire isn't meant to be there. I missed it obviously. Oh well. Thanks though.

6. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Is there any diadvantage to having passive pickups with a pre amp to having active pickups and a pre amp? Thanks.

7. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Would this work, allowing me to turn the pre amp off? Thanks.

acblendonoff.

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yes, that will work. The majority of Active basses are equipped with passive pickups and an active preamp. No, there is no disadvantage.

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Thanks

10. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Will this allow me to turn the preamp off and allow me to switch to passive? Also, is there a neater way of doing this.

Thanks for your help.

acblendpassiveonoff2.

11. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Well, turning the preamp off and switching to passive are the same thing. I think you're asking about switching the preamp off and also having a switchable tone control. The diagram you have will work, technically. The problem with it is that when you turn the preamp off, you also take the tone control out of the circuit. It's a matter of preference, but I'd still like to have tone control when in passive mode. But it's a simple change. Instead of wiring the Volume Pot to the DPDT switch (Turquoise Wire), run it with the tone control. Then, on that blue wire, somewhere to the right of where the tone control is wired in, Wire the blue wire to where the turquoise wire is now. Then, take the other side of the blue wire, coming right from the preamp, and wire that to where the blue wire is on the DPDT switch now.

This explanation probably sucks, I'll see about putting it in a diagram after work.

12. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Here's a diagram of what I described above. It's an OBP-1 with blend, volume, treble, bass, and tone, as well as a preamp bypass and a tone bypass. When the preamp is bypassed, the tone control still works.

[​IMG]

13. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Thanks for the diagram, I think I may be getting the hang of this...

So the DPDT switches between active/passive and the other switch is used to select the tone control?

14. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Exactly right. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen a switchable tone control. If you run the Tone Control wide open, it's the same as if the tone control was switched off. If I were you, I'd just leave that switch out, and go with just the active/passive switch.

On a sidenote, I've never used an Aguilar preamp before, but a lot of preamps offer an internal trim pot to control the level of output of the preamp. This allows you to switch between active and passive without a volume jump, EQ aside. But the preamp may not need to be adjusted at all. On my Sadowsky preamp, when the EQ is flat, and I switch between active and passive, there's no difference in volume. The Sadowsky preamp is based on the Aguilar, so it wouldn't surprise me if the OBP-1 didn't need any adjustment for this. Good luck.

15. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Thanks, you've been a really useful, but one last question. Honest.
    What do you mean by wide open, fully turned?

Cheers!

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yeah, wide open would be fully clockwise.

17. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Thanks.

18. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Sorry to bother you again but can you check this circuit.
    I have decided to change the blend/master volume to two individual volume pots. So, is this diagram right?

aguilar2.

Thanks again.

19. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yes, that appears to be correct. If you're going to go with 2 Separate Volume Controls, you might want to look into a Series/Parallel switch as well. There's plenty of threads on how to pull that off.