Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

electronis too hot for my amp? whats the problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notabob, Jun 18, 2004.

1. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    so, i use my peavey t-max head run into a 4ohm avatar b210 and a peavey black widow 18" (not sure of the impediance). the amp is fine as it is supposed to be able to handle impediances as low as 2ohms. my peavey millennium has 18 volt electronics. i feal that i am not getting the supposed "500 watts" that i am supposed to get with a 2 ohm load. i have my preamp gain set below clipping and i can only turn my overall volume (power amp) up to a little below 2 (out of 10) before the DDT on the amp starts kicking in. what is goig on here? is there a problem with my amp or is something not turned on that should be or are my 18 volt electronics just too hot for my amp?

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ???

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    sorry about that. i hit enter when i was typing the title by accident.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If the clip light is on, you ARE getting all the power..that's why it's clipping!

If the issue is it's not loud enough for you, then I'd look at your EQ settings. My guess is you are boosting the bass too much relative to the midrange.