1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ElectroniX GeminiDrive Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Grabbed this little bud off of fellow TB effect addict, bigchief. I wondered why he got rid of it...forgot to ask...maybe he'll tell us here but anyways, with as many distortions I have- this one IS the most versatile.

Construction
    The construction is really good. A peak inside, you can see a TON of wiring but it's pretty neat and they even added some electrical tape on the board to protect the components. I'm amazed at the resistors and caps on the bypass switch...some skillful soldering there :bassist:.

Sound
    The sound is pretty...I don't know, it's like I've heard it before but not all of the sounds in one pedal. It has a nice grit like the Polish Love but when it's cranked it sounds like a big muff...almost...:ninja:

One thing though, it was a little confusing figuring out the switches...like when the Gemini setting is on or off...I think I figured it out but arrows would've been easier :D

Soundclips

DI'd
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7471793

Mic'd clip
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7473276

DSCN1821.

DSCN1820.

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Is it replacing your PL?

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    On my main board? No. On my Mini board? I don't know...it's a fight between the Polish Hate or Love for the Mini board I guess.

4. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Good for you. I wanted that the other day when it popped upon the sale forum, but just didn't have the cash then. Thanks for the review and clip.

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Cool review!

BTW, this may be of interest to you:
    And:

6. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Hey good to see you got it. The clip sounds great. Is it gonna stick around on your board?

As for why I got rid of it: It's nothing against the Gemini at all, its just that I have a specific OD sound in my head.

I've tried a lot of ODs in the last year or so, and come full circle. I've decided that the EHX Germanium (which has been sitting in my collection the entire time) is the OD I've wanted the whole time. It's not the most versatile pedal on the planet, but it does that one sound better than anything else I've played.

7. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    ive been waiting for one of these to pop up on the electronix ebay store for over 3 months now, whats the deal? anyone know anything?

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Here you go:
    He already did another run of them. You can probably shoot him an email and find out when the next run is.

9. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    i did 3 months ago, he just said to keep an eye on the ebay store - no action yet

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    That's the thing. That post was at the beggining of the month. I don't think he is going to be putting the Gemini's for sale on the ebay store; only through the musicelectronix site.

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I can see why he's not doing a huge run of these. The wiring is rather involved and must be a pain with such little room in that enclosure. I'm not big on OD pedals but I want to check this one out.

12. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I just got mine on Friday. Man, this is my favorite OD pedal out there today. The rest just seemed to be lacking but this thing, IMHO just kills.

Great review Chronicle!

13. my gf got mine a few weeks ago, she has been evil enough to not allow me to try or even see it until my birthday

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    :D Haha!

15. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    dude at the end of the clip, it started to sound a bit like a bit crush fuzz.

amazing sounding pedal man.

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Thanks everyone, joe-- that does clear things up a whole lot! :D

17. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Mic'd clip is up! I'm going through the Mods when you hear a slight difference in sound. Also, picked up a pick at the end for all you dirty pick users ;P

18. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    it sounds to me like it's blended with the clean signal...To my ears, the clean signal comes through and blends nice with the drive...I like it...

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Two channels. One clean one dirty. Blended together into one output.

20. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    ok...that makes since...thanks Joe...