Elevating bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Does anyone here raise their bass cabs off the ground during practice or onstage? Can you suggest a practical way to do so (besides stacking them on top of more cabs) to make them more audible without losing a lot of low end reinforcement from the ground? I've seen some players on stage who place their cabs on top of a roadcase or some other solid, wooden object to elevate them, and I'm guessing the loss of low end onstage isn't that important when you have a good PA system and floor monitors. I tend to bring only a small 1x12 to practice, and I like to raise the speaker so I can hear myself play (very loud band,) but the band complains about the lack of low end.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I use a keyboard stand. Put it in a corner to get a bit more bass.
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    They make amp and cab stands, although I think most of those are made to tilt the cab back. You could always use the guitar player's amp.:D
  4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Auralex makes a nifty little thingy called a GRAMMA. Check it out:

It only raises your cab about 4 or 5 inches off the floor, but it does a great job eliminating the effects of having your cab directly on the floor, which can be a real drag if the "floor" happens to be a stage that's hollow underneath.

These run about 50 bucks from American Musical Supply.
  5. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    local band bassist here uses an SWR super redhead.. he always sets it on top of the previous bands cab or on chairs/whatever available. seems to give the amp more throw.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well.. you could leave your cab on its casters...

My cab has a handle on the bottom that flips out so that it angles back... which i like for practice.. but usually at most gigs the stage is elevated so i just leave it down...
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I always chose a rig which is so loud that I don't have to raise the cab.
    Sorry if this sounds ignorant or isn't very helpful, but that's what I've ended up with.

But when the sound guy complains about too much low end rumble on stage and suggests to put the cab on a chair - well, I will do it...

8. Screw the 1x12 and get an 8x10! That'll solve all yer problems. :D
  9. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    only if youre his new roadie;)
  10. milk crate - ugly and uncool but it is low $ and does the job on the 4x10.

11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Depending on the type of cab and assuming you're only using one cab, you can install detachable casters on the bottom. Once you've positioned your cab on stage, detach the two rear casters, but leave the two front casters in. You'll have a slight "tilt-back" allowing you hear to hear the cab. My Eden 2-10XLT has worked well for me using this arrangement. Due to the angle of the tilt-back, you need to stand about 5 feet, or more, in front of the cab. This might not be possible on a small stage.
  12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    angleing it up 90 degress and up a few inches will make a bigger difference than you think. They sell amp stands that do this exactly. I do that with my one of my guitar amps thats a 1x12 and it works wonders, but i am nervous about losing alot of bass, so i dont do it with my bass rig. Of course with 6 10's there isnt alot to worry about.