1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elf or BQ500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fasterpussycat, May 22, 2019.

1. TE Elf 200

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. TC BQ500

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Because I no longer have a lift to band practice and because I don't want to pay to hire an amp, I am thinking about a backup/spare/alternative for my 19kg 200W valve head.

I was considering the TC BQ500 (red) because it's the right price and would just about fit in the pocket of my gig bag.

The TE Elf (green) is much smaller and lighter, slightly cheaper, and would easily fit the pocket of my gig bag with room to spare. But it's 'only' 200W @ 4Ω.

Red or Green?

2. I have had a BQ500 and now have an Elf. The Elf smokes it in every way. Louder, better tone, more robust, no comparison.

3. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

Oct 15, 2013
    Chicago
    I know wattage doesn't inherently equal volume, but how does a 200w @4 ohms smoke a 500 @ 4ohms? 100-200 difference, maybe, but a whole 300?

bpmben likes this.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have owned a different TC head BH250, and the Elf. I returned the TC because the Elf really was that much better. It's not twice as loud, but louder, and smaller, and less expensive, and...

5. Well....traditionally...there's watts and then there's Trace Elliot watts.