1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eliminate Pots on Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rick Meadows, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I'm interested in removing the pots (3 each) and run direct from amp to pups.

Q: Is it as simple as soldering blk/blk - wht/wht - grd/grd?

Thank you

Rick Meadows

2. Keep in mind that removing the pots will change your tone. Things will be brighter/hotter.
    Is this the effect you are going for?
    If so, wire the hots to the tip terminal of the output jack, and the grounds to the sleeve terminal.

If you want to retain the traditional tone of all the knobs on 10, you will also need a 125K resistor across the tip and sleeve, as well as a 250K resistor in series with a 0.047uF capacitor across the tip and sleeve terminals.

3. Thank you Line6man:

I understand your instructions. Will the info hold true if I install a 3-way switch, neck/bridge/both?

With respect;

Rick

4. Did you just want the 3 way switch, or did you also want the resistors and capacitors to maintain the tone?

I can draw you a diagram of how to wire for either case.

5. Your Schematic would be well appreciated, drawn with the resistors and capacitors and three way switch.

Thanks, Line6man,

Rick

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    interesting conceptually... but i like twisting my knobs!

7. Were you going to be using a 3 way Strat/Tele style blade switch, or a Gibson style 3 way toggle, or a DPDT mini toggle?
    (The wiring is a bit different for each switch type.)

8. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I imagine he'd have to use a gibson type switch, or at least something round, unless he could find a slotted control plate for a jazz bass.

9. Yeah, he is probably going for a Gibson toggle, but some people route for Strat/Tele style blade switches under their pickguards.

10. Gibson Toggle seems appropriate, (round). Looking forward to your schematic, Line6man.

Once again;

Thank you.
    Rick

11. Thank you, Line6man.
    I will be trying this out near the end of the month (vacation). Will keep you abreast of the results.

Again, with respect;

Rick