Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eliminating the boom... ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.M. Fletcher, Nov 16, 2004.

1. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    (If this is the wrong forum... feel free to move.)

I have an Ampeg SVT CL w/ a 410 cab. It has a great sound. My only complaint, and I really hope it's not the amp at all, is the booming, loose low end. How can I tighten up the low notes? My prescence in the band is definitely felt, and heard, but any note played on the E string just rumbles out uncontrollably.

Maybe it's the acoustics of my practice room? The highs are just as crisp + punchy + clear. The lows seem to travel in all directions. How can I get a better, tighter (dare I say "thud") sound out of it.

Maybe some type of pedal is my answer? Any insight/advice would be great. Oh yeah, primary bass is a MIA Fender jazz with rounds.

Thanks.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Try plucking closer to the bridge. Or raising your cab off the floor and moving it away from walls and corners.

Alex

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The first thing I would look into is an equalizer. Does your amp have at least a parametric EQ, where you can dial out the offending frequency?

The "E" note is 41 Hz. Lower the output of that frequency with an EQ (a graphic will isolate that frequency better, whereas a parametric EQ will only work with a broader band of frequencies...i.e. -it will not only pull out 41Hz, but also the frequencies around 41 Hz that are associated with that band on the parametric).

Another thing that can help is a compressor, though a compressor is not necessarily frequency specific (but it can be, if the offending frequency is the one that goes beyond the compressor's set limit).

A graphic EQ is your best bet. Not only will it work in your current environment, but will be useful anywhere you play as the room(s) parameters change.

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    what kind of cab are you running?

It sounds like you found the resonant freq of the cab when you play the E. Try rolling off the lows on your amp or mabye try blocking some of the port on your cab effectively changing the resonant freq of the cab.

danman

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What 4x10 are you using? I have found many "name brand" 4x10's to be rather boomy.

6. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    The cab is an Ampeg SVT 410hlf.

What do you mean by blocking some of the port?

7. Dont block the port up you'll change the cabs tuning frequency and its response and a lot of other things. Try the suggested EQ fixes first. Is the SVT 410HLF the cab that is supposed to be tuned lower than their standard cabs?

8. An Auralex Acoustics GRAMMA pad could help you out. It de-couples the cabinet from the floor, tightening up your cabinet's low end. I use one and it works great... they are about $45 at Guitar Center.

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I found the HLF to be a very low end heavy cab. Some hear that as boomy. You may have better luck pairing that amp with a sealed cab like the Ampeg 810 or better yet a Bergantino NV cab. That would tighten up your sound but its a very expensive fix.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    On the amp head, keep the ultra low switch OFF. Keep the bass EQ knob at 12:00 or less. Set the midrange frequency switch to 1 then set the mid level to about 9:00, adjust to taste.

If you are using a bass with active EQ, do NOT boost the bass.

See if that helps.

11. zero7

zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    If its room resonance that you have, then there are only 2 cheap ways to get rid of it :
    - move the amp, at least 3 feet away from any wall/floor/ceiling. you may have to try a lot of positions to find which one is best.
    - use a full parametric eq. (i.e. one that has a Q knob). a graphic eq is not flexible enough for your needs.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    What could be more flexible than being able to pull out exactly the right frequency that is resonating (depending on how many frequencies the given Graphic EQ can work with)?

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's probably the cab. try turning down the bass on your amp

14. The answer is very simple, the Ampegs are very deep sounding amps and cabs, in particular the HLF series as they are deep ported cabs.The SVTCL is a great amp, make sure you do not have the ultra low engaged as it boosts the 40hz and pulls the 500hz mids sounds great at home but sucks live.

I play rock fingerstyle, sometimes drop d tuning, my settings are:
    ultra high out, ultra low out, bass at 3 o clock, mid at
    3 o clock, mid selector on no. 4, treble at 3 o clock, input gain about five and master volume mosts gigs at 4 to 5.

This sounds superb, but i use the SVT15E and the SVT410HE cabs. I had the SVT610HLF and it was way to boomy and louder volumes and got lost in the band mix.

Use the bass carefully as Ampegs are top heavy on bass before you start, so take out a bit of bass boost the mids , i found that the mids on 1.6khz turned up really makes the thing more clear and punchy and growly.

Good luck

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Cut the bass and boost the mids as needed.

16. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks for all the advice.

However, cutting the bass and boosting the mids will take away from the nice chest-pounding feel that I get right now. I need to eliminate some of that booming sustain that happens.

I'll give the recommended settings a try this evening.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you do it judiciously, you'll keep the pounding (just tightened up a bit) and lose the boom.