1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

elite strings,

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tyburn, Feb 20, 2001.

1. how may of u lot have played with elite's

i know many guy's in the us won't have or may have not heard of them but what about it,, how many have or do use them i do i love em,, they have a good feel and a sound i love an all rounder i'd say,, they've got a lot of grip to em

endorsed by loads of players,, Mr N East,, mark king etc,, but i never hear about them on hear???

what do u fellow brits think aout em or there lack of advertisng ??

:

2. * here,, don't want you to think i can't spell,

surry

:p

3. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    scotland
    Elites are the only 5 string set I can get locally. I cant decide whether to buy them or order another kind (DR sunbeams perhaps). The only other strings I have tried were warwick red labels, which I hated. They are very rough, almost scratchy feeling. Also one of the strings was stretched when I got it. Not impressed!!!

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ive been using Elites since 1988 (I sometimes use Rotosounds) they are bright and last a long time (well they do for me, 3 yrs being the record).

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Oh MWLaurenson welcome to the board and all that social stuff :)

6. hey Mrlaurenson,, i've tried a number of different strings,, some of the biggest names and the smallest, hand wound low production types that dos 50 more than the elites,,, theres just something that i love about the elites,, i use sadiums 45 105 and i keep coming back to them,, i play terribly with out themm,, i took off a newish set of strings to put the elites on cos they were hurting my playing ,, i feel much better now,, the others are now spares,, after being slightly boiled (have to see it that works:d)

they do feel a little different than other round wounds to begin with but then your fingers get comfortable and i and u will be able to glide over them,, if your listening elites, i'll do an endorsement for free,, well a few sets of strings a year

try them there not that exsepensive and u'll be surprised

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have tried Elites and am not that fond of them - but the Bass Centre always put a new set of Elites on when I but a bass or get it setup or altered.

I think Elites are slightly better than Rotosounds, and to me are quite similar. But they are not anything like as good as D'Addarios or Thomastik Infeld.

About 4 or 5 years ago I did use Elites, basically because they were the only 5 and 6 string sets I could afford. D'Addario Slowwounds sound hugely better to me than Elites, but when I started buying them a 6-string set cost £46!

However, now I can get strings off the net, I can get D'Addarios sets for £20 including P&P. So now I would never go back to Elites and I have a 5-string set lying around that I won't ever use. D'Addario Slowounds sound better in every respect to me and on every bass I've tried, plus they are easier on the hands.

Recently I have also tried Thomstik Infeld and again they are way better than Elites, to me. I think the thing is to buy strings off the net and try different sets - you will be very surpised at the differences!

I get all mine from

www.sheetmusicplus.com

and they are about half the price of any shop where I can buy strings in the UK. They have a huge range, are very reliable and the shipping is always fast - even though they are based in the US.

8. yeah, i agree u have to try them all u can't be stuck in the rutt of " i've played them forever, therefore there mine now"

i've tried enough sets and these so far are the most comfortable for me,, i will undoubtably try more ,, i've got years yet , not quite 19 , but for now,, theses do for me,,

i know what u mean about buying strings online bruce , thats where i buy mine from

whats sheetmusicplus like,, whats the shipping time and charges??

:d