1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elites Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kasbrey, Mar 7, 2008.

1. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I've been going to a local jam night for a while now and have been impressed with the tone my of mates JV precision since he put flats on it.

I finally ordered a set of Elites flats for my MIA 75RI as his tone has been getting better and better the older the strings have got.

Personally I'm a TI jazz flats player although I prefer a little more tension than they give me. In the past I've tried Labella 760FL's and the 45-105 set of Chromes but although liking the tension more, the Ti's are more the tone I've been after.
    I find the LaBellas lack the complex mids that I like and the Chromes have no thump at all and sound pretty much like rounds even after 3 months on.

I can't wait for the Elites to break in because they sound phenomenal now and I know they'll just get better. They have a nice fast attack to the note that doesn't disappear with age but are not over bright like the Chromes. After a while I've noticed my friend's bass get woodier and woodier with beautiful rich mids.

Anyone else tried these ?

2. walruswaspaul

walruswaspaul

Jan 23, 2008
    I haven't tried these but have wanted to for a while , how do you find the tension on these?, how do they feel compared to the Chromes? , are they middy like the chromes?. I have to agree with what you've said about the Labella's , I tried them and took them off after a couple of weeks as they had very little in the mids and the mids they had were very one dimensional the strings just sounded kind of empty , like they were missing something

3. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    The tension is similar to the chromes - just a bit tauter than the Labella's. Also bear in mind the Chromes felt a lot stiffer when I first put them on and the Elites may loosen up as well.
    I can't believe it took me this long to try them. I could have saved myself a lot of money :rollno:

The Elites seem to have a more low mid sound in comparison to the high mid tone of the Chromes. Good definition though.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I'm thinking of trying Elites flats too. How do they compare to Rotosound 77 flats with regard to tension and tone?

5. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I have tried a bass with Rotosound 77's - if I recall the Elites are a little more flexible at 45 -105 gauge and more still at the lighter gauge. I have the .45 set on 2 basses and the .40 on my PJ which seems better with lighter gauges. The lighter set seems to have more sustain.

The tone gets better with age - sort of like a stiffer, thumpier set of TI's.

I still have the Chromes on a Jazz and they eventually wore in after about 6 months and a few bass changes. They sound good too now.