Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elites strings...disappeared?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Suburban, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I recall this name, Elites strings, as being carrier of good quality at reasonable prices.
    I also recall having visited their home page,

But now, I can't find the site! Have they disappeared entirely, or just from the Internet?

2. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Was there even a site for these string makes in the 1st place?

3. There was a site, but it was a part of the bass centers (london) site. That seems to have disappered too. I think you still can get Elites from www.stringbusters.com or mayby you could try www.go4strings.dk. Even though they are located in Denmark, Elites are pretty cheap there.

Such a shame Italy didn't make it to the quarterfinals, eh?! ;) :D

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    :D :D

hi carl, what is the price for elites in Denmark ?

5. 5 string set of Elites is around 43 $ in Denmark. It's not cheap for foreigners I know, but when a set of DR's costs you around 20 bucks more it's cheap. If you're looking for a place to buy Elites outside Israel I would suggest www.stringbusters.com. They're cheap with Rotosounds as well.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hmmmmmm, Elites strings disappearing form the world would be no great loss in my book!

Tone was OK, longevity sucked and they are the only bass strings I've ever managed to break (E strings.... the .105 variety!)

7. Yeah, I must say they weren't special to me either. Lo-Riders or Blue Steels are better at doing what Elites wants to do, - being punchy and bright, that is.

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I used them for a couple of years - I thought their longevity was pretty good. I managed about a set a year, although I had to replace a number of A and E strings (I broke quite a number of them!).

That said, I'm now using La Bella Deep Talkin' strings from the Bass Gallery and am delighted with the sound.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who broke their strings!

Have you managed to break any others brands of sstrings - I haven't!

I predomninantly use Rotosound - but have also used Dean Markley, Trace Elliot, Warwick and a few others over the years....

Interestingly I've bought a couple of sets of La Bella strings recently (Hard Rockin' Steels) and have been very impressed! :)

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I did use Rotosounds for a while about three years ago. I used their one of their lightest sets (35-55-70-90) and went through quite a few strings! (What can I say, I'd just discovered Stanley Clarke! ;) )

I've since learned to use a lighter touch!

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Did you break them or just wear them out????

I never broke a Roto, and I always found they lasted well, but I know other forumites who complained about them.....longevity, and feel wise (I know they do feel dry/rough...but I quite like that :eek: )

Thing is ,I tried the La Bella's because I had (after about 15 years of use) a couple of bad sets....kinda dead out of the packet......which disappointed me....other forumites had complained of this before....but they were meant to have 'sorted' that.... :meh:

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've never actually snapped a string clean in two. When I say "break", what I mean is that the outer winding has snapped. The inner wire appears to remain intact, but all the tension in the string goes and you can't tune it back up. I've done this to both Elites and Rotosounds. This break always seemed to happen near the bridge. It was generally A strings that I broke, but I can recall one or two broken E strings.

At the time, I was generally playing fingerstyle near the bridge, Jaco-style, and probably too hard for a string to take over many months.