Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixcir & noise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tvm, Aug 2, 2005.

1. tvm

tvm

Feb 22, 2005
    Recently strung my Roscoe Beck V with exlicir nanoweb strings and after
    that the bass seems to have become very noisy, not the normal noise that comes from
    running single coil but more of a his and scratch while I am playing, everytime I am
    not fretting or plucking but just resting on the strings.

I have a feeling it may have to do with the coating diminishing the conduct thus as
    soon as I don't fret or pluck but just resting my hands against the strings, there is
    not enough contact with my skin to ground the bass and the natural noise in the
    bass becomes audible.
    Problem is it comes and goes in a bit unmusical way....e.g. moving left hand up
    or down the neck with string contact but without actually fretting scratches like H
    if I don't at the same time press a string with my right hand.

Does anyone else have any experience with this ?

Or is it my imagination....or the bass...?

2. mad.mick

mad.mick

Nov 21, 2004
    Same here with a Fender Jazz. On stage I don't consider this much of a problem, and when I came across this during a recording, I tied an open wire round my ankle and connected the other end to the bridge of my bass. Looked ridiculous, but it worked. Using different strings might have been an alternative to being laughed at, but I didn't care. ATM I am considering to buy a Velcro wristband like this and a ground cord. :smug:

3. Cool thx, it's not just me...:)

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yea, its a slight pain for me because usually with regular strings your bass will be grounded by your hands on the strings, while since there is the coating it makes it more difficult to do so...

5. If you have a string through the body setup then the Elixer coated strings will not ground properly as the ball on the end contacts only the ferrels in the back of the body and thus are not grounded as in a top loader. I suggest you loosen the strings and carefully scrape the bottom side of the string that contacts the saddle for a better grounding of the strings. Only needs where the top of the saddle touches scraped.
    Gary

Another thought might be to scrape where the string comes through the bridge or ground the ferrels to the bridge in some manner.

6. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I guess I got lucky....I haven't heard any noises from my RB5. Nanos thru the body and the p.a.

H2