Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixer 6's?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Dec 30, 2000.

1. Just lately I've been using Slowounds, and they have to be the best strings. I also like Ernie Balls. Seeing good reviews about Elixers has prompted me to think about trying some, but as far as I can see, they dont make a six string set. Anyone know whether they do?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have not seen an Elixir 6-string set but, a .032 gauge high C-string is available. http://www.goremusic.com/bassstrings.htm (look at the bottom of the page). You can probably order one from an Elixir dealer or, maybe directly from their website. You'll just have to order the .032 gauge string and add it to a 5-string set to make your own 6-string set (a slight pain in the @$$.)

I hope this helps :)

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    And, sadly, they want like $22 for that single C string! Blew my mind; but the full 6-string set wound up costing about $80, and since they've been on my bass for 18 months, I can't really complain.

4. Eli, how do you rate them? Do you think they are worth the buck? Do you have any problem with the coating flaking? Can you liken the tone of them to any regular bass strings? Sorry for all the questions, I'm starting to get wound up on this now.

5. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Discalimer: I only use 'em on my fretless -- I did worry about the coating wearing off on frets (the product literature even mentions that). But to answer all of your questions in the order submitted:

1. Great. Love the silky feel.
    2. Yes. A year and a half of ZERO maintenance is pretty good, don't you think? And besides that, the sound doesn't change from set to set or, most usefully, during an 8-hour-long recording session.
    3. No. There were a few "hairs" a few months back, but only on one or two strings.
    4. Similar to D'Addario XL's with just a touch less metallic zing (both are all nickel). But I cut back treble anyway, so that suits me fine. FYI I play the classic Jaco tone.

[Edited by Eli on 01-03-2001 at 08:22 PM]

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Bummer. Just went to the Gore site listed above and found they NO LONGER sell strings direct -- ya gotta go to a dealer. And IME, not many of 'em have single high C's just lying around. So you'll probably have to order 'em and wait.

Here's the dealer listing page:

http://www.elixirstrings.com/dealers.cfm

7. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Just found the place for Elixir 6!

http://www.getstringscheap.com has a 5-string set for $50 and the high C for $11.25. Finally starting to get reasonable...