Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixer Acoustic bronze (coated) strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FritzM, May 24, 2002.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    I'm looking for a good string for my Godin A4 (piezo pickup).
    Strings I've tried:

Thom acousticores
    Thom Jazz flats
    D'Addario Nickle XL's
    Labella Tapewound
    DR Highbeams

I like the highbeams the best, but they are a tad too bright and a tad too much finger noise. The others I did not care for. I thought maybe the Elixers would be the best of both worlds. I'm a fan of the stainless steel string sound. I feel, it sounds closer to an upright sound (I am an URB player). Perhaps that is why Jaco, Steve Swallow, etc. perfer(ed) stainless. But, maybe the bronze wouldn't be bad. Your opinions?

fritz

2. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    oops! Sorry about the spelling . . . guess that's what spell check is for!

fritz

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Fritz...
    Have you tried TI Jazz Rounds? I also play a Godin A4...but you knew that....and flip 'tween TI Acousticores and Jazz Rounds. The Jazz rounds have a bit more "bite" than the flats...softer gauge, small diameter windings which cuts down the finger noise. They are nickels, but have both a bright, tho not as bright as DR steels...or any steel for that matter...and round tone. They contain a unique silk underlay which produce a full true tone without emphasis on the odd-sequenced harmonics. That may give you the best of both worlds, tone-wise. They last long, in fact get better with age, and don't produce any "chirpiness" with the Godin/Baggs systems.
    Max

4. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Hey Max,
    I think you may be right. I still want that "classical bass guitar" type of sound, but with a little more "ping" than the Acousticores provide. The fact they last long is definately a plus! On the A4, the lighter gauge probably won't bother me.
    One thing, how does your Jack Casady
    compare/contrast to the Godin A4? I've read many rave reviews of that bass. I have really become attatched to the A4, it is great for the Jazz gigs and solos cut through nicely and still retain warmth and clarity. The Dr's are just a tad too bright/noisy.

Thanks___fritz

5. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Max,
    How would the TI powerBass strings work on the Godin? Are they too heavy? I've read many good reviews about them.

fritz

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Fritz...
    Well, there is no real fair "comparison" between the Casady and the Godin. Different animals altogether.
    Sadly, I recently sold my Casady (but am kicking myself so hard for doing that I may just buy another!) as I found the Godin to be the perfect voice for my style, and was simply leaving the Casady unplayed (a sin in my book).
    The Casady is a great bass...perhaps not as "acoustic" sounding as the A4, but very full and warm with a nice singing midrange and subtle top.
    The key there is the low impedence PU, and somewhat the semi-hollow construction.
    The LR Baggs system in the Godin gives a much wider frequency and dynamic range, and hence a very different sound. Tho I have found that using TI Jazz Rounds (or even flats) I can get an approximation of the Casady tone from the Godin.
    I have been using TI rounds of late on the Godin, and treating it more as a semi-hollow (which it is; two carved sound chambers inside...not completely hollow) and less as a true acoustic. I too have found that the TI acousticores, which I love, impart a definite woody upright sound, and personally I have always felt I play a "bass guitar", not the horizontal equivilent of an upright bass.
    I have been optimizing the "guitar" aspect of this...and the semi-hollow, acoustic nature of the A4 does lend itself to the "classical bass guitar" you spoke of.

I have not tried PowerBass stings on the A4, but use them on my solid bodies. They are great strings, with a modern sort of sound. I am sure they would work, but for me the gauge (47-107) is a bit stiff for all the chording and flamenco techniques I use.
    I have used TI Flats...and to me they are great on the A4. In fact, I have a set now on my new fretless A5...set up with a high C string. They sound incredible!

BTW..I have a few "true" ABGs...the totally hollow, acoustic guitar-looking types, and on those the Acousticores truely excel! One, a cheap Dean Performer Plus, which is small bodied and 32" scale, sounds absolutely wonderful with TI Acousticores. I originally bought it just to travel with (take to the beach, camping..or for composing in hotel rooms and such) and never intended to "use" it plugged in or otherwise in performance (the rather cheap Shadow Electronics made it unusable that way). But, the tone of this little bass with the TI Acousticore strings was so good that I went and had a Fishman preamp and piezo dropped in, and now have used it for solo gigs! For some reason, the TIs sound better on totally hollow basses than the semi's such as the Godin, IMHO. And, for some reason, they sound great on shorter scale basses.

Max