1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elixer Nano vs Rotosound 66 vs Chrome Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bluesman2514, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Bluesman2514

Bluesman2514

Jun 2, 2013
    I'm having trouble deciding which of these i like the most. I created a guitar/drum track and then I tried them all on my 2010 Am Std P bass and went direct into Garageband to create a sample of each that is cleanish and then one that is overdriven.

I think I like the Daddario Chrome Flats the most for their thumpyness, but the others have awesome character as well.

What do you guys think?

I play 99% of the time with my fingers, and some slapping well. I'm also somewhat new to bass, but have played guitar for 20 years.

I currently play through a Ampeg Micro-VR with the matching Cabs.

Clean Flats

Clean Elixers:

Clean Rotosounds Swing Bass 66:

Driven Flats:

Driven Elixers:

Driven Roto's:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. The rotosounds. I like the way they 'snap'.

But I'd suggest looking up some bass EQ tips. It sounds all scooped and gets buried in the mix a bit.

3. Bluesman2514

Bluesman2514

Jun 2, 2013
    I left it mostly the way the garageband preset started, and just adjusted volume to match so I didn't change anything on each track to affect the strings tone

4. I has a hard time hearing the bass to really tell the difference.

5. Bluesman2514

Bluesman2514

Jun 2, 2013
    I'll try to push the bass up and repost later this week. Thanks guys-

6. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I can hear the bass on 6 of those clips :) and when a bass is scooped, it doesn't bury it, it allows the low end and high end to cut through abit better without overpowering (from my experience)

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Bluesman, I can hear the bass cleary :) the chromes seem to make the bass sit in the mix better than the rest :) and thats coming from someone who used to swear by elixir and currently using rotosound which I don't think I'll be using in the near future after hearing how better chromes sound :D

8. Bluesman2514

Bluesman2514

Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks rob! I played with the band last night with the chromes on and I liked the low/low-mid thump a ton. The elixers and roto's both sound good too, but I think they sound better without the band. With the band I think I'm gonna stay with the chromes. Anyone else take a listen?