1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elixer or DR Black Beauties?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cnl83, Feb 26, 2008.

1. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    I play mostly Tool, A perfect Circle, Rage, ...stuff like that. Which strings are better?
    Elixer or DR Black Beauties?

p.s. I know about the chipping black coating

2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Having actually used both, I prefer Elixirs. Tone, and longer lasting. And yea, the black started coming off right away for me. :(

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    The coating will NOT stand up to a pick. But finger wise (if I don't let my nails get too long) hold up well. Elyxir's are cool too. The only issue may be getting enough bite on your fingers to really grab them. I used them for years but on heavy metal gigs I'd change to a steel stingfor bite.

4. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    I mostly pick

5. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Been abusing my newest Black Beauties for 2 weeks with a pick and no chipping yet...

Not 100% crazy about the tone for my style, but they sound really good.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    These strings are quite different, in that the Elixirs actually have a synthetic coating that (IME) deadens harmonics and eventually starts to fray in spots, whereas the Black Beauties are just lacquered over - any wear on the black surface isn't noticeable to your fingertips and doesn't affect the tone. Choosing between those two, I'd go with BB's, although I do find their tension a bit on the low side.

7. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Cleartones, the coating doesnt comeoff as fast with a pick, also I have had 2 sets of BB, they died in about a week with normal fingerstyle playing.

8. ELIXER

9. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Black Beauties Sound like a good set of strings to me. The coating took quite awhile to start to wear. I just don't really need black strings. I've been tempted to try them again. I have to say that I really like DR Strings for the most part. I had a D string break while setting up a bass and they sent me a new set.

I've tried the elixirs on a few basses 4 and 5 string sets. The first set was frayed out of the box. Elixir told me sorry they were probably old. So took me a few years to try them again(I had a gift card) they weren't bad but they feel a little weird and don't sound that great especially for how expensive they are.

So in my opinion though it is biased I'd go for the DR's.

Andy

10. Cost wise I think the DRs are cheaper, They are both very good quality strings

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I would say if you are gonna do it..juststrings.com seams to get fresher strings sent out than most stores that buy stock and sit on them. The other thing is the BB's even as the color wears off they still stay live. Never buy a dusty pack off the floor of a music store.

12. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I play DR Black Beauties on my OLP Stingray clone. Sound great!

The Black Beauties are just the DR High Beams with a coating on them. So if you like the Stainless Steel High Beams you will probably like the coated version - and you don't have to pick just black. This is true for all the DR colors.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've played a couple of sets of DR Black Beauties, & yea.. a pick will peel off the coating. I'm an SS kind of guy, & always felt that DR BB's sounded very muffled, NO zing at all... but, the feel is quite nice. Keep this in mind, I LIKE DR SS strings... so, I'm not baggin on DR at all...

14. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    I use Black Beauties on my P-Bass. It's been about three months, and I like them more each day. My experience is consistent with McHack's in that I don't think they have much in the way of zing, but they thump pretty well, and that's just what I was looking for. When I change strings next, I'll probably try some Fender tapewound flats.

I play finger-style, so the only wear (and it's very minor) I've seen is where the strings contact the frets. A little steel shows through, most notably on my A string.

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The one time I bought and used BBs I killed them in two weeks. That's quicker than I kill regular nickle roundwounds. I did like the look and feel of them though. Elixirs last me a good 6 months or more. Not crazy about the slick feel but it's something I've gotten used to.

16. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I switched over all my basses to Elixers about two years ago and have been very pleased with the results. Getting used to the feel of them takes a little bit but once you get past that there good to go.