Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ELIXER Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 13, 2001.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hi again,

figured i need to get my posting count up...so...

just bought some ELIXER strings for my fretless JAZZ...have to say, they are VERY NICE.

i had TOMASTIK JAZZ flats before...which are also nice, but go dead fairly rapidly.

used to use rounds, thus i had my guitar tech put a mylar sheet over the rosewood fingerboard to prevent wear. really helps and sounds great!!!

the ZON ultrasonics seem to last for ever on my Sonus...

sigh...anyway...really curious to see how the ELIXERS wear...stay tuned!

fred

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego

Yeah, I like Elixirs, even though I'm not currently very excited about roundwounds.

Send them to me! This is the sound us TI fans are waiting for! We call it "broken-in." :D Seriously, TI flatwound guys like the sound of the strings as they mellow. They're too bright initially and don't sound "dead" enough. It's not uncommon for folks to keep them on for years.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a set of Elixirs on my MIJGLS Fender Jazz, and they sound as new as they did 7 months ago.

The coating was still doing OK too, until the guy from the 5 Americans sat in with us New Years Eve and shredded them up with his pick!!! #@#%@#

I just wish they came in stainless, because they are jsut not quite bright enough for me, but they last IME 7 times longer than regular nickels, at least so far.

4. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    How are these strings for brightness/attack? I'd like to replace the generic Fender flats on my new Jazz bass with something a bit brighter and with a quicker attack. I'd prefer not to go the "cover the fingerboard with epoxy and put on some roundwounds" route. Not yet, anyway. ;) Are these coated Elixir strings good for acheiving something like the roundwound + coated board sound (e.g. Jaco)?

5. I´ve had ELIXER´s....didn´t like´em....I got GHS Customs now...not that good either....but i´m waiting for my Conklin Snakeskins to arrive so those GHS string will do fine until then.

6. embellisher

Furtim, I haven't tried them on a fretless yet, although I will when I get my new 5 in the next few weeks.

I will tell you that on a fretted, they are brigher than roundwounds, almost as bright as uncoated nickel roundwounds.

And they do not lose that brightness, at least not for 7 months. As I mentioned above, I put a set of these on my Geddy Lee Jazz 7 months ago and they are still as bright as the day I put them on.

7. I've never tried Elixers,I'd like to though. Presently I'm using Dean Markley Blue Steels. I like the brightness, but they don't last more than 3 months. It could be because I use a pick 50% of the time.

8. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Embellisher, they DO sound like just the string I'm looking for. I think it's field-trip time. :D

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ...and as I mentioned in the other thread, I recommend you visit http://www.getstringscheap.com to compare prices.

Furtim, you are talking FRETLESS Jazz, right? These strings are almost as bright as uncoated nickel round wounds. Be prepared for a marked change in tone -- yes, approaching the Jaco tone. The fingerboard epoxy coating does add brightness, too, that you won't get from your stock Jazz. But I think you'll like what happens. I say we go for it!

10. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hey, can I get an ilovefretless.com address, too? ;)

11. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The domain is... um... aahhh... STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION! Yeah. That's it.

12. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I used to use the Elixers. Good sound and they last a very long time, but I didn't care for that "greasy" feel. I switched to DR Sunbeams.

13. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I just tried Elixers on my Warwick Thumb. Wow, these string look, sound and feel great. I'll be the real test on the durability though. I have very acidic sweat and I can kill a fresh set of strings on a 4hr gig. I'm quite pleased with these strings so far and intend to put a set on my P-bass and Steinberger w/string adapter.

14. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I haven't heard any reports of longevity on frets. Let us know, willya?

15. embellisher

Eli, I have them on my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, they have been on there for 7 months and still sound like new.