Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixer Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thebassguy, Mar 21, 2004.

1. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    Does anyone have any leads on somewhere I can get elixer strings pretty cheap? Here in Yougstown, Ohio I gotta spend $50 a pack and that's highway robbery.
    Peace,
    The Bassguy

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Did you try Musician's Feind? I think they sell them. What is it about these strings that you like? I have never talked to anyone who used them and I am curious. I have purchased two used basses with Elixers on them and I did not like them and though they were very wierd feeling and the last ones were comming apart and shedding all over the bass :confused:

3. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    I personally like the resonance and tone that I can get out of elixers through my bass. Also, the roundwound design along with their "special coating" makes them last longer than any string I've ever played on, and I break string very often (I killed a GHS Boomer after two weeks of playing on it).
    I never say Elixers are for everyone, but I like them alot.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Cool, thanks. Yeah, the ones that were on my last bass still had lots of life in them. How long does it take before they start shedding? Is that the signal that it is time to replace them?

5. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I found them on www.juststrings.com for about 38, I usually just abuse a local Guitar Center's best price deal.

I have some polywebs on my bass... the shedding kinda gets to me, quality string though. Probably won't re-new.

6. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    The shedding all depends on how hard you play on the strings and what you play on them with. Sliding on the fret board eventually wears them out a little. Using a pick kills the coating. The more you play on a specific area the more you'll notice that are to shed.
    I pretty much keep my strings on my bass till they break, since it doesn't take me long to do that to them anyway. The shedding doesn't mean the string is dead, though. I've used many elixers that almost had no coating left and they were still playable. The tone lacks a little bit when the coating is gone, but nothing anyone that's not you would notice.

7. Armybass, I bought a fretless Ibanez bass last year, and it came equipped with Elixirs, and I liked them alot for a fretless tone. They're not too bright to start with, and have a semi-flatwound sound to them. They have less thump than a flat string, but more than a roundwound. Plus the coating is much less abrasive on the fingerboard than a round string. So, my only experience with them was on a fretless, until last weekend.

I bought a set of Elixir nanowebs ($61.90 including tax) for my Yamaha 5 string. I wasn't disappointed. They behave pretty much as they do on my fretless. A nice smooth almost-flatwound tone, but with the sustain of a roundwound. My Yamaha cost only $400 brand new, so it's doesn't have the best anything on it, but I can honestly say that the Elixirs made it sound a little better.

As thebassguy said, they're not for everyone, but unless you want a very bright string, I don't know why anyone would not like them, except for their sky-high price.

I play with a light touch, and 10 months of playing the original set on my fretless, and I don't see or feel any wear, nor hear any degredation in tone.

I like 'em. :)

Mike

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently jumped on the Elixir Nanoweb band wagon, and paid roughly $50 for a 5 string set about two months ago. I'm monitoring the longevity of the string's tone. After two months, I've noticed the following:

Right out of the box, the Nanowebs do not sound as bright as brand new stainless steels. but then again, new stainless steels were usually a bit too bright until a few days of breaking in.

The Nanowebs maintain their "nearly new" round wound sound for many weeks longer then conventional strings. I'm still monitoring the "how much longer".

The Nanowebs feel a little slippery or slimy. But it doesn't bother me, since the "nearly new string" tone lasts so long.

After nearly two months, my strings have not started shredding yet. I've seen this on other people's basses. It doesn't bother me since I consider this a minor "side effect" of having a string that lasts longer.

Just my two cents here. For $50, it's a decent deal for strings that last a long time. I'm still monitoring how long they last, and will post my findings in a month or two.

9. I have a slightly uses four string set of Elixir Nanowebs that I will sell for $20.00 shipped.

10. kgantzer

kgantzer

Mar 6, 2004
    Ohio
    My first set lasted 6 months - really! It was 4 months before I noticed any sound difference and 6 months before I could not tolerate it any longer. I play twice a week finger-style and slap, and I never experienced "shedding". The feels was very slick, allowing very quiet playing/slides compared to regular roundwounds. I like 'em.

:cool:

11. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I bought my Ibanez SRX505 4 months ago equiped with elixir nanowebs strings.

It was not too bright as a new string, and it's still hasn't changed at all ecxept the color turn a bit dark (I guess it's dirt and sweat mark) until now.

It's still feel smooth on my fingers, while I'm playing with a bit hard fingering and slaps.

I say it really worth it for $50/set.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a set on my Godin, they are allright but there is better out there.