Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 24, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I saw some Elixers in the clarance bin for like 20 bucks. Is that a good deal, and are Elixers any good?

2. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    And I know 20 bucks is dirt cheap, but where I buy strings, I buy D'Addarios for like 15 bucks. Unfortuanantly, that is all they have.

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    They are easy on the fingers (if that matters to you) and last a long time ... but I like the sound of D'Addario nickles better

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I got some in the trial they were having before; I like them.

Not really bright, but punchy...I like.

$20 is a steal if you ask me. Some people don't like em because they think they come sounding dead to start with...

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Hate, hate, hate that coating. Just feels weird to me...

6. I think they are icky!!! :spit:

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Another elixer question if I could. I just bought a Schecter elite 5 and the the schecter website says they put nanowebs on their new instruments. I need to find out if the strings were changed on my bass at the store or if they are the Elixers. My question is, do the elixers have a nylon wrapping on the end or are they just plain? The strings my bass has are just plain on the end. I like the strings and if they are the elixers I will buy them all the time if they last long.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    All the Elixirs that I've had didn't have any silk wrap, just plain.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I don't mind Elixirs, and I liked them much more on this string trial than before, but they don't sound very bright out of the box and they have a slightly bright tone that lasts for about a week, then they sound duller. I will say that they haven't dulled since the initial dulling for a good few months now. Personally, the price is enough to drive me away as I prefer the D'Addario nickels that are a fraction of the price of the Elixirs, but at $20 a set, I'd buy them and throw them on my fretless for sure.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Cool. That must mean mine has the elixers on it still. Although I didn't notice anything that seemed like a coating on them. Is that something you can see? I've been using the Daddario XL's on my Fender but I might stick with the Elixers on my schecter just because they sound so good with that bass. at nearly $50 bucks a pop I will need them to last 5 or 6 months. we'll see. Time will tell

11. On elixirs you can clearly see the coating it's like a plastic tube around the string and you can see than it stops a little bit before the ball end and a little bite before the windings on the tuners... If you don't see the coating I think there's quite a good possibility that your strings have been changed.

Edit:

Also elixirs when new sounds like a worn in set of strings with the E string going dead and the a string not for from being dead, the D ang G have some zing to them though

12. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I had a chance to try some elixer strings and I hated them. D'Addarios are probably the best strings I have ever tried.. I actually buy them in bulk now. Thanks to the awesome packaging methods they use!

13. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Allright. I guess I'll just stick with da d'addarios.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    love love love them and won't use anything else (except they don't make flats for my p bass, currently strung with d'addario chromes). up until i found elixirs i played every brand i could get my fingers on and never fell in love for more than a few sets.

i pay $40 a set, $50 for my 5-string. would pay double that if i had to.

15. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I guess Elixers are like the dead; you either Love them absolutly or you hate them and are ready to fire a rocket launcher at their office complexes.

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    if you're a stainless steel type of player, elixirs probably aren't for you. personally i hate the feel sound touch smell and EVERYTHING about stainless steel, so yeah. :)
    if you can't see the coating, they are probably nanoweb which are the thinner coated version, a bit brighter than the polyweb (original, thicker coating), at least at first. i much prefer the polyweb, but nanowebs are good after a few weeks. and i've never seen silk on them, have gone through probably 10 sets now. thankfully, i always hated silk coating.