1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Elixers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 4dog, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Alright i have what is commonly referred to as "the plaugue" so i have tried every brand imagineable, these strings, Elixer nanowebs, have lasted so long with sweat, fingerfunk, drinkspill, snot ,and what have you , except for calming down a bit of ringiness , still sound new, i highly reccomend em.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    You should save yourself some money and use deoxit axe wipes w/ your favorite uncoated string. Believe me when I say they work great!@

3. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    So buying strings and then buyong something else to wipe em with is saving money, since these have lasted soooo long , i ammmm saving money , normally would have bought 3-4 sets of the other cheaper strings by now, and spent 60 to 75 dollars , im way ahead.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    A box of tissues would be cheaper :p

5. davkane

davkane Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    I love 'em too. These strings gave saved me a ton of $$$ as well.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I hated Elixers at first, but got used to them and really liked them.

They sound great, but in Canada a 5 string set of Elixers is over $50.00. I buy Fodera strings in bulk (10 packs) for just over 1/2 that. I get pretty good life out of the Foderas if I clean them regularly.

They are really nice sounding strings though.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    Lol aren't elixir's like 50 bucks now? Used to kill those due to pick use. They would go dead quick just due to that.

8. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    im looking at gettting a pair of the elixer steels. anyone try them out?

9. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Nothing survives heavy handed pick players, when i was a picker i used .88 mm dunlops and my bandmates said my hand was a brick , i was a hard player, switched to fingerstyle and strings still went dead within a month, so sorry to all the naysayers, at 100.00$ a set (if they were) it would still be a bargain.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/elixir-steels-vs-eb-cobalts-my-little-review-865137/

Since then I ditched both the Elixirs and Cobalts and went back to Progressives.

BUT magic happened when I then replaced the Progressives with DR Dragon Skins. Now those are some fantastic coated steel strings. They have that supple feel like all round core DR's, tight yet loose at the same time.

Plus, DR is very accommodating to selling singles so I can make custom sets. Bass Strings Online has them, so it's simple to do.