Elixir bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassred, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Bassred

Jun 9, 2005
    Have switched full-on to Elixirs on my guitars, but have only tried the bass strings on my fretless. I have not had any of the strings 'peeling' or losing the coating like I have heard that Elixirs do. Any comments good or bad about the Elixirs? :help:
  2. There good and all. The thing that got me is the strings did not die. I had them on there for months and still got great tone. I bought them when they were still $35. they just got raised again to $40. $40 for 4 strings isn't exactly cheap. My coating where i was plucking had entireley come off. I can only imagine what it would be like for pick users. I also lost the coating where the strings rubbed agaisnt the frets. It left a nasty residue, but i cleaned it up. The tone isn't bad. I would get the heaviest ones you can get. I was using nanowebs, but my friend had both nanos and polys. He liked the polys better. I had to switch to Ernie Balls becuase Elixirs were too exspensive for me. If you can afford it though go for the Elixirs. When i took my bass to the shop and told them to put new strings on and set up the neck they put the new strings on and kept my elixirs. It pist me off, I could have used them.
    Keep rocking, Patrick
  3. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    And the B-string is totally crap. I love the tone and all, but it is the floppiest thing ever. If the B was a .135" or .140" I'd be sticking with Elixir.
  4. EddyK

May 10, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    I wouldn't recommend Elixir Strings if you're playing with a Plek. The coating comes off where you hit the strings in a matter of days and you got all that Nano-stuff flopping around there. Doesn't help the sound of the strings eihter. The feel is great though. So if you're not playing with a plek go for it.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a set on my godin still. When that bass was my main bass i used them becasue they lasted a long time. Right now the coating is cooming off but i dont care because rarely do i touch that bass now that i have my sterling/