Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixir Bass Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zacl, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Hey everyone,

I just bought a new bass that comes with Elixir Strings.

I was just wondering what everyone here thinks of those strings?

I've heard many great reviews, but I thought a few more opinions wouldn't hurt.

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The Nanos are brighter than the Polys. The Polys are not as bright as a "normal" nickel roundwound. They seem to have a stronger fundamental with less overtones and sustain. Good balance to the strings volume.

Some like the coating's feel. I like the left hand smooth slide, but didn't really care for the "snot coated" feel for the right hand. :D

The coating interferes with the grounding. If you stand a certain way in relation to the amp or touch the poles you get a buzz. Touch any metal piece and it goes away.

3. I only use PolyWeb's.
    Regular-Long Scale
    .050 (I prefer a .050 G string over the .045)

Smooth feel for slides.

Saves your frets and your fingers.

Lasts a long, long time.

Been using them for years now.

[​IMG]

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nanos. Use 'em. Like 'em.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Nanos were too slippery for me, and got "dead" a little quicker.

Polys are great, I love them. To me they sound *just right* out of the box. That sound lasts for a couple of weeks, then they settle in to "almost as good" for a few months.

After some use they begin to "shed", which can be a little unnerving but no problem (little tiny pieces start to stick up from the strings, it's not like it starts falling off in sheets or anything).

The coating only "intereferes with grounding" if you have a poorly shielded bass that needs you touching the shield to give it some help! :) IOW, this is not a problem on my Hanewinckels.