Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixir bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rakshasa, Sep 7, 2003.

1. I play guitar too, and the elixir strings I use are the best things I ever put on it, but I was told that elixir bass strings are really bad, does anyone here use them?

2. Strung some on a couple of basses when I worked in a music store... not a big fan. The webbing wore off really quickly.

3. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i love mine to the ends of the earth

ok so once you first put them on it takes awhile to get used to, your finger will slip cuase the webbing.... but once you get that dealed with

they sound great and i personally have had my set on for afew months now, ive tuned it only a few times(and i play 5 hours and up a day) and i dont see them dieing or breaking anytime soon

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can't wait to try these out to.

I was just over at a friend's apartment and tried some of his basses. They sounded great and I asked him if he recently changed strings. He floored me when he said the strings had been on one particular bass for almost 2 months. They actually sounded like they had been on the bass for only a few days. I'm willing to give it a try for about $50+.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Any idea if they can stand pickplaying? They seem pretty nice, if bit pricey.

6. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    do the math for lenght of time playable to cost, compare to what you have now..... i know you'll save money in the long run

i pay afew things with a pick(only on songs baced of cords) and it does just fine no problems

7. I always wanted to try them, but never got around to buying a set. Then, they came stock on a fretless Ibanez bass that I bought.

The best description I can think of is: They have the sustain of roundwounds without being too bright, while at the same time having a thud that's close to that of a flatwound. I think they're perfect on a fretless for both sound and feel.

They're not the brightest strings, but then again they seem to be holding their tone extremely well.

Mike

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I string all my basses with them, and I LOVE Elixirs. I doubt I'll ever buy another brand of string.

They're a little more dead sounding than new roundwounds, but the tone dies much much more slowly. And they feel great to play on for long periods of time, IMO.

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I bought a set once. I took them off about a day later! I will never buy those again!! A waste if money, IMO. I don't like the way they feel.

No they can't stand the test of time for pick players. The plastic coating comes off too quickly.

I guess it's all up to the player.

10. Elixir strings are they only strings I use. They last for a long time and keep there great sound.

11. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i like um too. i like how there slippery too, makes playing even faster a breeze. not a sbright as d'ads but mine lasted me about 7 months. and i plai like a mofo. im thinking of slapping some on my kubicki soon, tis rad :p

12. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I notice a lot of people freak out and say the strings suck because the coating started to wear off. This is completely normal for it to flake off and it doesn't effect the tone. What you are seeing wear off is the outer coating.
    The material *between* the windings remains for a long time.
    This is what keeps them sounding new.
    I cant believe more people don't like these strings.
    Last me at least 6 months

13. Over priced, mediocre tone.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What's the tension on a set of Elixirs? I'd like to try 'em on my fretless, but they're rather expensive and TIs have kind of spoiled me, so I don't wanna spend money on something I can't bend like a mofo.

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd characterize their tension as very middle of the road. the strings are neither too taut, nor are they too flexible.

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Elixir's were my favorite string when they first came out.

However, when I began using a pick the coating wore off super fast.

17. I put Elixir Nanowebs on my SR5 two months ago and they've performed great. In my current band, I use a pick 80% of the time (pretty hard) & the coating has not worn. Tone is above average IMO but I slightly prefer the tone & tension of the DR Sunbeams on my Sterling.

18. I'm guessing these were the Polyweb coating?
    The Nanowebs on my bass appear to be durable when playing w/a pick.

19. Tried Elixir
    Tried Top End Rotosounds
    Tried EB's

Always Always return to

Elite Stadiums 45-105's

Supurb Strings.!!!!...

20. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Yep.

PolyWebs.

Haven't tried the Nano's.