Elixir Nanoweb coated roundwounds on a fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im sure a few of you have been wondering what this would be like, seeing that the coating would offer more protection to the fretboard than regular roundwounds. I got sick of the D'Addario Chromes on my Essex Fretless (Its a P bass and i want a double-bass -like tone out of it, not with too much muah automaticaly from flats.)

Today i got new Elixir strings for my Godin, and put the old ones on my Essex. (its crazy, after 5 ish months, the old ones still sound REALLY close to the new strings. They still sound really alive, i love these strings.) But i put the old ones (dirty/ugly, heh, but sound good) on the Essex fretless. They sound quite unique. If you keep your left hand fingers quite flat and all, you can get a nice deep , upright ish tone. But if you do some wigglin and dancin' , you can still get great muah, just a different kind of muah. More throaty, less nasally, kinda more Jaco ish, except with a P bass twist.

Basicaly if anyone has an old set of Elixir roundwounds and wants to try em on a fretless, go for it, unless its a really nice fretless and you dont want to risk damaging the fretboard if you keep em on there for a long time. Being that mines a $119 Essex , i could care less. (its a great bass though, with the exception of one dead spot on the G string, it plays/sounds super).
  2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I had considered this too. I have a custom 6-string Spector coming and I am looking at all my string options. Protecting the fretboard is one of my biggest priorities, but flat's are just, well, FLAT! I had considered trying the Elixers since they have that weird wrapping on them. I've heard that it kind of kills the harmonics normally, but it would still have to be better than flat wounds. Let me know how those do over time and if they start to damage the fretboard.