Elixir Nanoweb - losing coating

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MKS, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Hi there.

I have had a 6 string set of Elixir Nanoweb's on my bass (Dean Edge Q6) since May and I've been very happy with them. They still sound very punchy, zingy and "out of the packet" new.

Problem is, the coating on the E string is starting to fray above the bridge pickup more or less where you would play. The same string has a little evidence of fraying up around the third fret area. It doesn't seem to be affecting the tone much, but I wondered if this is common. Is this what happens when the strings wear out? Is 6 months a "usual" amount of time to see this kind of wear? Have I just got a dud E string, since all of the others are intact?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    I have had Elixir Nanowebs on my 5 string and Polywebs on my fretless since the beginning of april (3-4 hours min playing/day plus gigs most weekends), and I've only just replaced them on my 5 string yesterday - still going on the fretless.

The same thing happened to mine (and everyone else that I know who had them) with the coating fraying off. It is a bit of a sign that they are starting to wear, but they probably have a bit of life left in them still.... :)

DC :)
  3. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    The outer coating is supposed to fray.
    It is the material that is between the windings that
    keeps the strings sounding new.
  4. fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    mmmmmmmm.. eeeeelixers....

I don't think that the end of their lives is when the coating comes off, because then they have the actual strings left.. howeevr bad they may sound.. don't listen to me.