Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixir nanoweb Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TriplePowerMax, Jul 2, 2005.

1. TriplePowerMax

TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Russia
    What you thing about this strings?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't like Elixirs at all. The coating makes them feel creepy, plus they shed. But there's people on here who like them a lot, so YMMV.

3. TriplePowerMax

TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Russia

4. TriplePowerMax

TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Russia
    - what this?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    YMMV= your mileage may vary. It's an American saying that means you may not like the same things I do.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    slippery.
    less string winding zing.
    corrosion resistant.
    more of a fingerstyle string:
    ...using a pick shreds coating.
    I'm currently test driving a .045 - .100 nanoweb set;
    verdict is still out.

7. I love em except that I have to string them thru the Bridge on my Lakland. (The B string still isn't quit long enough, but I doesn't cause problems)

I like the fact that I can replace my strings every 4-6 months instead of every 4-6 weeks.

I like the slippery feel. Even though they are not the best fit for my bass, I will probably continue playing them due to the string life.

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    the feel took me 5 seco[nds to get used to on my Polys, and I'm expecting less of a difference between nanos and regular strings hwen I throw them on...

9. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I loved the Elixirs I had till the "Nanoweb" stuff started to peal off, the pealing was a major turn off for me.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've got Nanowebs on a couple of basses now. The longest I've had 'em on one bass (my Fender RB5) is six months. That bass has been in rotation with other basses, but it's the one I usually bring to rehearsal, and I've gigged with it a couple of times. I play fingerstyle, and haven't noticed any degradation of the tone or the polymer coating. That's pretty impressive... I know I'd have killed a set or two of uncoated strings by now.

The Nanowebs are definitely not as bright as a new set of the roundwounds I usually play (DR, Sadowsky, LaBella, Smith, Rotosound). But the mids are nice and chunky... and as noted, after six months the Elixirs sound much brighter than any set of uncoated rounds I'd have left on for that long!

11. Im an American and have never heard of such a saying

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You've never been to cheapassgamer.com or fatwallet.

I see it there most when it comes to deals...

13. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    On my fretless, once the coating started shedding the strings went dead. I'm not enamored with them. YMMV

Your milage may vary was/is a staple disclaimer in auto advertising and has been for 25+ years. It refers to the mile per gallon rating on cars that used to be mentioned in all the ads and is required to be posted on the new window stickers. It has been adopted on forums to represent differing opinions OR differing results. In my humble opinion, your milage may vary, tax, tag and title not included.

14. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I've been playing the Nanowebs on my two 5'ers and completely love them. I just got a new set which have a tapered B and I love them even more.
    It's true that they aren't quite as brilliant "out of the box", but I think over the 6 to 9 months I have them on, I barely notice a loss of zip and zing.
    I play mostly fingerstyle so the coating stays intact a bit longer for me than from what I hear from pick players. But even when they start to shed it's hard to to notice a difference in feel. It just looks a little shaggy.
    Give them a shot. I was hesitant to shell out $50 (for the 5 string set) but it's definately been worth it from my perspective.
    Oops -I forgot to mention that I like the even tonal response. I think they have a very good balance of highs, mids and lows.

15. TriplePowerMax

TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Russia
    How many people so many opinion.

16. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    [​IMG]
    This what they look like on my bass. Once they began shedding, they started dying as well. YMMV

17. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I too have a set of Nanos on my RB5. Although I favor Chromes on this bass, the nanos sound good; truly a great string for finger picking. Not as much zing as the typical nickel wound, but the Nanos have solid mids and semi firm lows; I'll roll off the treble 3/4 and will get that nice modern growl I hear on the contemporary jazz tunes. My rhythm section mates love the sound too....can hardley wait to hear what this bass sounds like thru my new Avalon U5!
    Does anyone know, if there is a difference in tone between the Nanos and Polys? :eyebrow: ..............................If only Elixir would offer a flat wound.

18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I love these strings!

I´ve been using them for just under 2 years now and I haven´t looked back since.

I play 50% with fingers and 50% with a pick. I'm happy with them! They last a lot longer then normal strings.

19. I just bought a set $95 Australian tho!!!!! they better last well!! I've never used 'em B4 but I get real slimy fingers when I gig(2X per week) & I was getting a new set every 5-6-weeks, so hopefully they'll last at least twice that long. I don't even mind that they are supposed 2 be a bit duller outta the box, I like the sound of slightly worn in strings. Keep up the bottom

20. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC