Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? elixir nanowebs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ostur, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Ostur

Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    I ordered and just recieved a set of elixir nanoweb strings,I have never seen a set before so I dont know what they are supposed to feel like or look like,but what I got feels like a set of rotosound strings,they are very course and not slippery at all,and they sound ed brite until they went flat dead in about 2hrs,I wonder if I got a set of something else in the elixir box,if they were elixers ill never use them again.

2. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    sounds like elixer strings to me. they'll last long but the brightness twang goes away in a few hours.

-Jon

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    polywebs brightness last a bit longer.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    on my Carvin LB70P. Can't quite remember cause they've been on about 2 years now. The plastic coating is 'frayed' in several spots but I'd buy'em again when I think these are going dead. Not yet though.
    I don't think the nano's were out when I put them on. I've tried the nano guitar strings and the coating isn't nearly as obvious and there's more finger noise. I prefer the poly's on this bass and use them exclusively on my acoustic guitars.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i used to only use polywebs on my bass. i like them a lot. but if you play with a pic, be prepared for them goretex to fray.

after having them on awhile, they will also fray on the neck too. they are good to me for like 2 weeks, then they suck.

im trying this new stuff called string life(www.stringlife.com) and so far it has made a standard set of uncoated dr strings, last me a week. which was 4 practices.

im giving it the test this week for recording. hopefully it will hold up.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Sounds like Elixers to me as far as the sound goes...dead out of the box.

7. Ostur

Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    thankyou for your input,not that it makes me feel better tho,those worthless s o b's cost me alot of money,so much for advertising!!!!

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so wierd. ive never had a dead set of elixirs right out of the box.

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The opposite for me. They don't sound dead. They sound like nicely broken in roundwounds. No nasal twang. And they're really slippery right out of the box. They stay like that for ever. I love em

10. I put some Elixer Nanowebs on my American Jazz bass. With stock pickups they sounded nasally and I took them of. I put some Bartolini's on the bass and decided to give them one more try before chunking the $40 strings. Wow, they sounded piano like and very little finger noise. Low end awesome. Clarity excellent. Highs smooth.

Thought I would add this to my above statement. The Nanowebs sounded good on an MM Sterling I had and after changing my pickups to a hotter Vintage Noiseless Fender pickup they sound really good here. My suspicicion is they do better with active and hotter passive pickups.

11. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Mine were great! They came on my Ibanez stock and I played them till they broke ( about 6 months) All the coating came off over where I was using my pick. They were really nice strings , slippery and sounded good. I would use them more but they cost too much.

12. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I think elixirs rock, i use them on my Warwick Dolphin Sn5, and they keep their sound all the time, i just changed mine, but ive been using the last ones over half a year.