Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixir or GHS flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Aug 7, 2003.

1. today im thinking about buying GHS Flatwounds for 5 string or Elixir Goretex Coated 5 string set. Which should i get? i could prolly get 2 sets of GHS flatwounds for the Price of Elixirs but what do you think i should get?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    This is really an impossible question to answer. Depends on what sound you want. The GHS flats are deep and thumpy like flats ;) , and the Elixirs sound a lot like nickel roundwounds, because that's what they are under the coating.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Can't decide between the two? then i'll add a third: Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats... :D :p

4. I have no experience with GHS flats, but, a lot with Rotosound flats, and a little with Fender flats. For the last 3 months I've been playing my new fretless a lot, and it came with Elixirs on it.

The flats will always sound like flats; nothing you can do about it. The Elixirs on the other hand, can sound somewhat like flats if you have a light touch, but, will spring to life, and sound like a round string when you start to dig in. At least this is what I've found.

I'm using the Elixirs on a fretless, and I have a pretty light touch. I'd imagine that on a fretted neck they'd give more of a roundwound tone.

I vote for the Elixirs.

Good luck.

Mike

5. well i bought the Elixirs today, was 50 bucks but well worth it.

6. i have used elixirs...they are fine
    but if you want a flat type sound i dont think they are good for that
    my bag for flats is TI;)

7. well i was have a tough time deciding in between the two whether I wanted a more agressive sound with the roundwounds or if i wanted a more mellow sound. For the bass I have them on, Elixirs seem like the right thing and ther type of bass seems more of a bass to use for more of an agressive sound. Im planning on buying an SX fretless jazz bass and putting flats on that so i tink that would be perfect.

8. well i was have a tough time deciding in between the two whether I wanted a more agressive sound with the roundwounds or if i wanted a more mellow sound. For the bass I have them on, Elixirs seem like the right thing and ther type of bass seems more of a bass to use for more of an agressive sound. Im planning on buying an SX fretless jazz bass and putting flats on that so i think that would be perfect.