1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elixir Stainless Steel vs Elixir Nickel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jwilson67, Nov 17, 2016.

1. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    OK, OK - yes I know there are multiple threads out there with people who have used both. I am looking for a concise comparison between the two regarding tonal qualities that stand out for each type because I want to get a set within the next couple days and I don't have time to sift through the old forums.

FYI I am using EB Cobalt rounds (5 string) at the current time.

Any user thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Would like to know also...

I've been using Elixir Nickel Plated Steel bass string for about 2 years and I've restrung my acoustic electric bass with Elixir 80/20 Bronze. I wanna try the Stainless Steel version for my go to bass, which is currently strung with D'Addario Flex Steels.

Coincidentally, I have unused EB Cobalt rounds which is supposed to be for my go to bass after I've done with the Flex Steels. So, if you would be kind enough to share... I'd like to know also why you are interested in changing to the Elixir Stainless Steel as opposed to your current.

3. MattB88

MattB88 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: LowEnd basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    I've used both. The stainless are what I currently use on two of my basses. They're quite a bit brighter than their nickel but the low end is still round and full. Very similar to the nickel low end.

jwilson67 likes this.
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    do the Elixir Stainless Steels posses typical characteristic of roughness on fingertips?

5. MattB88

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    No they're much easier on the hands and sliding is effortless with minimal finger noise.

Aidil likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

You might find this a good read!
    Elixir Steels vs. EB Cobalts. My little review!

Can't believe it's been almost 4 years since I did that writeup. Doesn't seem possible, seems like Cobalts just came out last year or something.

Anyway, while that does not compare Elixir vs. Elixir, you can get an idea of Elixir vs. Cobalt. Essentially, Elixir Steels are much smoother feeling than Cobalts. They sound somewhat similar with the Elixirs having more meat and the Cobalts having more of a 'chainsaw' like sound. FWIW I quit using both in favor of Dunlop Super Brights which are less clanky and zingy than both, but a lot more air and clarity in the mids and with deeper lows.

jwilson67 likes this.
  7. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Just remember that for some of us depending on our instruments, venues, etc, coated strings can contribute to ground hum because your fingers are not making contact with the metal.

jwilson67 likes this.
  8. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I know you love the Dunlop SB's. They just didn't work well with my particular bass ('96 Carvin LB75). Plus, one thing I have figured out is I love the sound of a very aggressive string - which the Cobalts provide in spades. The smooth feel is one of the things that is attracting me to the idea of the Elixirs as well as the extended life.

That is one of the things I thought about as well.

9. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I'm really intrigued by the reports of smooth feel from the Elixirs and also the long life. I absolutely LOVE Cobalt Rounds. They possess every characteristic I like in a string and they're versatile for every style of music I play with the bands I'm in. I wish they just wouldn't get so grimy looking after a period of time but that's just the obsessive-compulsive coming out in me. Also they start to smell like garlic to me! Am I the only one that's happened to? LOL

Aidil and MattB88 like this.
  10. MattB88

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Very true indeed. Luckily I haven't ran into that issue yet.

11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    yeah.... those are the good things that I like about the Elixir.

Eww... I didn't expect the Cobalt rounds could turn to be that gross. Thanks for the info. Anyway... how long have you used it?

jwilson67 likes this.
  12. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I've been using Cobalts now for about 2 years. For some weird reason the just turn really dull looking after a bit but they retain their brightness for a long, long time (at least for me). The grimy thing really doesn't bother me that much since I really like everything else about them. They do feel kind of rough at first but quickly ease into feeling very buttery. Also they have low tension without being low tension - don't know how else to explain it.

13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    about to order Elixir Stainless Steel but realised that the winding length is only 36.5", which isn't enough for my 35" scale BTB that requires at least 37" winding length.

Then remembered that Ibanez give Elixir Nickel Plated Steel as standard strings on most of their basses cause the Elixir NPS is available in Extra Long Scale and no Extra Long Scale option is available for the Stainless Steel.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  14. MattB88

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Yes I ran into this problem on my Lakland

Aidil likes this.
  15. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Did you buy it already then discovered the short winding length problem afterwards?

16. MattB88

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Unfortunately yes. I'm so used to a 34" scale it never hit me once I had the 35" scale lol.

17. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    ouch...

so what did you do with those couldn't be used Elixir Stainless Steels?

and then what string do you use on your Lakland?

18. MattB88

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    I put them on my Geddy lee Jazz bass minus the low b. And I'm trying new strings out lately on my Lakland. I don't like daddario coated strings so I'm back to uncoated. Right now I'm trying DR lo riders.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021