1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Elixir Steels vs EB Cobalt Flat

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ObeyDaRiffness, May 24, 2017.

1. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    My dream tone is stainless steel, but it lasts a short time and I don't have much money. I'd rather have a less bright tone that sits there for ages than an awesome tone that lasts 2 weeks. I've heard the best strings that do this are the two above: wich one has the best brightness-longevity ratio?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Unless you prefer the smoother texture of flats, between those two, I think you'd be better off with the Elixir stainless steels, cause no matter how bright the Cobalt flats are or other non-stainless steel strings which claimed as bright as stainless steel rounds, and despite some say that Elixir steels aren't as bright as other stainless steel rounds due to the coating, still I'd say that none could replace stainless steel roundwound sound.

In term of longetivity, I'm still using my Elixir NPS w/ nanoweb on one bass which I've had since Nov 2015 and Elixir 80/20 bronze w/ nanoweb on my AEB for about 10 month, so I'm one of those who concur the claim of Elixir w/ nanoweb coating longetivity. I would have use their stainless steels also if they have them in longer winding length than 36.5".

rodl2005 likes this.