Elixir Strings- What's the 411

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by grooveguru, Oct 18, 2000.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Can anyone fill me in on Elixir strings? Are they coated with teflon or something? And do they last any longer than other strings? What is the going rate for them? Any drawbacks?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Elixirs are coated with something, I'm not sure what. Not teflon, not Gore-Tex, but some sort of plastic-type stuff. It cuts the finger noise a little, and makes them a little slipperier. I've heard that they can last a year or so, but I don't know. I've found them to have a nice, fat sound. I've only had mine for a little while, though. They go for around $35 or so.
  3. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    I've had mine on for about 3 months and they still sound good. The coating they put on the strings is a special polymer they call polyweb. This prevents sweat and dirt from getting into the strings to give it the longer life and at the same time promote less finger noise and a smoother feel. I heard on average there supposed to last 3-5 times longer than regular strings. They cost around $35-45. I believe all their strings are nickel plated roundwounds and they do sound good. But for me personally, I will switch to something else soon because I don't care for the somewhat greasy feel. Some people love them. Give it a try.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Man, I dig 'em! They're smooth feeling and great sounding. Lotsa ring and bottom, too. Seem easy on the frets and suitable for fretless as well. I think they're worth the extra dough because they last WAY longer.
  5. 5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Has anyone seen these in a 5 string, 35" scale?
  6. Yep, I'm using them on my 35" scale Lakland 55/94 fretless, and they're great.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had a set of these on my Geddy Lee Jazz for 6 months now and the still sound as bright as the day I put them on.

Mind you, they're not as bright as stainless, more like nickel.

Great strings!
  8. They _are_ nickel.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I know that, michaeln, I didn't know if everybody else knew it though.

I wish they made them in stainless.
  10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Search this forum for "elixir". There's been considerable discussion about these.

And, yes, it is Teflon. Gore is an outfit that has spent a lot of time looking for different uses for Teflon (dental floss is one zinger that is in your local grocery store).

And, yes, I love these strings. Mine are now 18 months old and I play about three gigs a month.

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, I thought I had read somewhere on the Elixir site that the coating was not Teflon. I can't find it now, so maybe it's not there. :oops: It says, "Polyweb is a proprietary hybrid polymer..." so I guess that doesn't rule out a Teflon compound.
  12. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I've had these on my bass for about a week now, and it's official - I love 'em. I had been pretty much sold on DR Sunbeams, which complemented my Carvin very well. But since I installed some new pickups, figured I outta try out a few others (again) to make sure I had the best match. I might add that the thought of spending more on strings over the lifetime of a bass than the original cost of the bass itself just annoys the p!$$ out of me. I mean, if the bass actually CONSUMED the strings, like a car eats gas, I could understand it, but to plunk down 25 bucks for strings just to throw them away in a month is plain ludicrous. So, I picked up some Elixirs.

What's funny is that at first I HATED them (omigod, my strings have CONDOMS on!). They do need some breaking in, and they feel a full gauge thicker than listed, i.e. .40-.100 feels like .45-.105 (to me, YMMV). They definitely have much more tension than DR's, which was rough on my left hand for a coupla days. But they don't buzz AT ALL, and sound brighter than I thought they would, without the finger noise. And now that they're broken in I LOVE the feel. They are also MUCH punchier than the DRs; the low end really thumps. They also have THE BEST sounding G string I've run acoss (I use the G string more than most folks though). I also like the idea that tomorrow they're gonna sound the same as they did today; my EQ isn't going to go from a smile to a frown as they wear out.

I'm not sure how long the coating is going to last; I'm already seeing a little "fuzz" on them, but it doesn't affect the sound or feel. But if I can get six months out of the suckers, it's a hell of a deal.
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    As I stated in another thread, I put some on my '69 P-bass and they still sound good. I have no intention of changing them anytime soon.

Will C.:cool:
  14. ShadowChaser

Jan 20, 2000
    Okay, I'll be the lone voice of dissension here. I tried 'em a couple of months ago and was wholly unimpressed. I didn't like the feel for one thing, and in fact, I found that greasy white coating tended to fray off after only a couple of weeks. I am notoriously hard on strings, but I didn't think this wonderful coating should have been giving up already. I was surprised to read nothing but positive reviews of these.

Back to Blue Steels for me!

15. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I've had mine for 4 months and they still sound good to me. They have a much smoother feel than regular strings, and I'm able to move around the strings much more fluently.
  16. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    I've had mine on my 5-string for a good 4 months and still love them. They sound very fat (once i broke 'em in) and they feel great. That white coating makes them look really cool i think (they stand out, almost makes it look fretless). I am very sold on these.
  17. I've never tried them on a bass, but my dad has a set on his guitar, and it seems that the frets have shredded up the polyweb a bit, it's pretty bad. as for the sound, they were on an acoustic guitar, and they all sound the same to me anyway.