Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixir strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nuclearrabbit17, Aug 19, 2004.

1. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    I love no strings more than elixir. Ive had them on my 6 string for 10 months, and they still sound sorta good. they sure sound a hell of a lot better than any other string would after 10 months! Im supposed to get more tomorrow from musicians friend. Come everyone, share your stories of how wonderful elixirs are. or if u hate them, bugger off.

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    havent tried them on the factor yet but i got 7 months on my spector with a pair :)

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    After trying just about every string there is over the last 3 years Elixers are the string that give me the sound I've been looking for.

I always hated that super bright zingy new round wound sound and flats didn't do it for me. Although T.I Jazz Flats came really close and I used them for a while.

The Elixers have the punch and growl of a nicely broken in round wound and that tone seems to last forever.

I also love the slippery feel.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I may have to check these out. I'm currently using D'addario's coated EXPs which I've had on my bass for a little over a month. So far they are lasting well and I like how the coating seems to muffle some of the high end zing.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My F Bass BN6 came strung with a brand new set of Elixir's on it. I don't see myself putting anything else on it but them, and I am going to try them on my Modulus as soon as the DR Lowriders that are on it now wear out.

They seem to have great tone, and they are SO much easier on the fingers.

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Alot of the members hear at TB, myself included, tried these as part of a beta test.

If I remember right we all agreed that these are a very good string.

For me they come in a close second to the Elixers.

7. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    but it kinda sucks for the elixir company cuz all their strings are so expensive. if it werent for the fact that they came for free on my ibanez i never would have tried them out. after all they cost around 50$. nobody is willing to pay that much just to try them out. oh well. i just hope they dont run out of business or something cuz they kick ass!

8. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    What's the difference in the Elixir Poly-Web's and Nano-Web's?

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    The Nano-Web coating is thinner than the Poly-Web coating.

10. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    I've had Elixer Nano's 45-105 on my P Bass since early May and they still sound great after a lot of use. I intend to stick with these strings on this bass although I use other brands as well on my other basses.

11. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    I like my elixers. I am trying my first set right now. I have only had them on for a month or so though. So far so good. They seem to discolor a little bit though is that normal?

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ever since i started playing in a fulltime band, i have had the problem with strings becoming dead after a few shows/rehearsals. so i was at sam ash one day, talking to the guy about it, and he suggested the polyweb strings.

since that day, the only time i bought something else, was when i found a set of dr bass strings for 10 bucks cause they were returns. every other time i have put the polyweb on. they are hard to find, unlike the more popular nanweb, but if you can get them, its usually a steday thing.

i love them

instead of 1 week with non coated strings, i get 2-4 weeks out of them, and for me, thats good.

my ray is strung with polywebs, my acoustic is strung with nanowebs, my sg is strungs with nanoweds, and ever my back up bass is strung with poly's.

the best part about them is, if you clean them with a rag and water, they gain life.

also when the satrings are fully dead. and you save them incase you break a string, it will have some new life back into it.

i could go on and on. i would make an excellent salesman with these.