Elixir Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Artist, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Does any1 here use Elixir Strings?
    I've never needed to change my strings, but now the tone isn't quite as it used to be.
    I tryed out sone different kinds at the "MusikMesse" in Frankfurt and I liked the Elixir. Are they good, are there better. I liked them coz they didn'#t "grip" your fingers. Do any of you have that problem. (the grip)

2. Im a big fan of elixirs. They have a real smooth touch to them and they seem to only get better with age. Im a firm believer though that different players and different basses have different requirements and thus strings should be chosen accordingly. On my P-Bass though they sound fantastic and Ive been playing with them for almost a year, but Im more about warm lows.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I love 'em, too. I find they are suitable for just about any bass. I use them on my '64 P bass as well as my '99 Modulus Quantum 6. They last and last.
  4. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    agreed. i had a set on for about a year once, and i was never unsatisfied with the way the played. i like warm bottom end too. they dont break easy either, which is definitely a plus, as i pay $40 a set where i live. im experimenting with flats right now, but i think elixirs are the only rounds ill ever buy again.
  5. I've never used them, but I've really considered it many times. They are a bit pricy, but after what I'ves een though they last for about a year.
  6. I just went and got some Elixir Nanowebs.... cost me $39.99. I'm still debating if I should have got the Polywebs or not.
  7. I'm considering picking up a set on PolyWebs....does anyone have any comments about the string tension on the 45-105 set? (I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE tight E and A strings: my ideal string gauges would be 45, 65, 90, 110). I'm probably going to buy Slowound 45-105s or get a custom juststrings.com set in the above gauges.
  8. I got a free set of nanowebs courtesy of a special promotion in a music publication. I stuck them my ESP F205 last week and I'm amazed. I love the zingy sound that fresh strings produce, but I've found a lot of brand new strings are too clicky. The Elixirs are perfect - they have slightly less bright sound but hold it for ages - they've survived a sweaty four rehearsal and about 10 hours hard practising and they sound exactly the same as they did when I first put them on.

Another added bonus - I've been using tapered B (135 and 140) for the last 7 years, mainly just to improve intonation - the extra mass of a standard B sounds 10x better.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I use Elixers on my acoustic Tacoma bass and I really likethem a lot.
  10. I bought 2 sets of nanowebs on an ebay auction for a good price. Most fragile strings I've ever played with! I don't play with to heavy of a hand, but these things would break about 1 a month! Thank god I had the extra set. They literally went through each individual string, G, A, D, E. The B didn't break. But having to replace these expensive ass strings reallllly did not sit well with me!

Once the A on the new set broke, I took em all off and stuck EB's on there. And they've been on it 8 months now, and have a better snap than the elixirs ever did.

I'm not a big fan, but lots of people like em. There has to be a reason for that, I probably just had a freak thing. But I still won't be getting another set.
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Methinks you got a crappy deal off ebay. How do you play (fingers/slap/pick)? I've never broken any. And new Elixirs should *certainly* sound better (brighter at least, if that's what you mean by snap) than 8-month old normal strings!
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

I had a similar experience with Spector strings. Absolute crap, at least the set that I got was. I'll never buy them again.
  13. I play really really hard, sometimes with a pick..... and I haven't broken any string in my set of Elixirs.
  14. fingers/Slap/Pick - Yes, Yes, Yes. It was from www.thebassplace.com I just think I happened to have very bad luck. But I also really wasn't pleased with the sound. I was just a very dissatisfied. But I tried em out, and they weren't for me.
  15. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    This seems really wierd...are you sure everything was set up correctly? Sometimes if your bridge can be the root of all string breaking problems...you might have just been able to round it off with a file and been good to go.
  16. I've had the bass for 4 years. I've never broken a string on it up until then, and haven't since I've changed the strings. It literally was the strings. Like I said..bad luck prolly.
  17. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Oh well....guess you an enigma :D