1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elixir tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Does anyone know the tension of Elixir strings?

Soft, medium or tight ?

2. Like any other hex-core, nickle-plated string (ie. D'Addario XL's).

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks.

(think Daddario XLs are pretty medium)

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I'm pretty sure they're less than the XLs, I just put some on my ATK after having Elixirs on, and they definitely feel tighter. I prefer the Elixirs, but twice the price...

5. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    elixirs are definitely a more flexible string than the XLs to my touch.

6. zzr0ck3r

zzr0ck3r

Mar 14, 2008
    i pull the hell out of mine and have no probs:) these bass strings will change your life

7. After trying EB Slinky's, DR Low Riders, Boomers.. Elixir's medium gauge + ATK 300 is the perfect marriage... My ATK sung like I never heard!! All I can say is.... WOW!! I'm sold.. Less Friction due to the Nanoweb coating resulted in more fluid fingering, ease of playing.. I know there are many that have ditched the elixirs that came with their ATK.. IMHO, that's was a mistake... And the sound??? Totally in your face!!!! :))))

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    You can derive tensions from the D'Addario tension chart - gauges are gauges and as long as materials (steel. nickel, etc) are similar so, too, will be tensions.

Feel is another matter. That is a matter of rigidity and is defined by manufacturing process. No good parallels can be drawn from one to the next here except by hands on experience with them.

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It seems to me that flats would be higher tension than rounds of the same gauge and material because they are "solid" and fill up the space from edge to edge completely, where round wound strings have space between the wraps above and below where the wraps touch. If that's so, they would have more mass per unit length for a given gauge and therefore would have to be pulled to a higher tension to reach the same pitch.

Whaddya think?

10. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Anyone have Elixirs on one of their basses, and DR brand on another? Which DR, and how is the tension compared to the Elixir tension?

-John

11. I have Elixirs on both my Fender P and my Spector Performer. They feel lighter (lower tension) on the Spector.
    Both basses are 34'' scale.

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Yup!

:cool:

13. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the verification that I haven't lost all capacity for thinking critically despite everything I've done over the years. It's only the weak and slow brain cells that do not survive! :D