Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixir VS Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JRBrown, Sep 7, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Are Elixir strings anything like flatwounds? I'm thinking of stringing up one of my basses with flats. Or maybe I can put on Elixirs and get the same results? How do they compare.

2. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    elixir sound somewhat like flats, but without the crap feeling of them (IMO). but if you want a real flat sound, get flatwounds.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Elixirs are roundwounds and are meant to sound like roundwounds. They feel very slick, which some people really like. That's about the closest thing to flatwounds that I can think of, if you're trying to draw a comparison.

If you want flats, get flats. If you want roundwounds...;)

4. um, Elixirs sound nothing like flats. And, they are the best roundwound strings, for sound AND durability, that I've ever played. They rule.

5. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    But how long do they last, compared to "average" roundwounds? 2x, 3x, 4x?
    None of the people writing about them ever said something exactly!
    Dirk

6. it's hard to put a number on, but I estimate about 2-3x longer. I had them on a previous bass for over 6 months and never felt the need to change them, how's that? I'm about to string up my 5-string with them, and expect them to last about a year.

Mark

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's no question that they last much longer. I do, however, question the "sounding better" part. I tried Elixirs and switched immediately back to my DRs.

To me, Elixirs don't have the same attack or sparkle that DRs do. I also couldn't get used to the slippery feeling of coated strings.

Obviously, there are people who prefer Elixirs, so I'd suggest you try them to see for yourself.;)

8. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm a bit pragmatic ab out this. I give them a try now. If after 1 month they sound better than dead DRs (love their sound too), I might prefer them for everyday use. Thanx for sharing your experience Mark.
    Dirk

9. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    "it's hard to put a number on, but I estimate about 2-3x longer. I had them on a previous bass for over 6 months and never felt the need to change them, how's that? I'm about to string up my 5-string with them, and expect them to last about a year. "

I typically don't post a a shill for product but if you want flats to sound great and to last and last: Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds are where it's at! Most players find that they actually last years. NOT a typo: 12, 18 24 months plus! Look up the topic heading here called "Thomastik-Infeld string worship" They really are the best you can get. Here are some links to T-I lovers from other forums:

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=220116&lastpost=2002-09-0813:45:54

and do a search on www.fenderforum.com

there's a lot of T-I lovers there, too. Also, search:

www.thedudepit.com

and you'll find folks posting about incredible tone, but longevity that even coated strings can't touch.

OK, off soapbox now...

10. If what you really want is flats, the Elixirs will probably be too bright.

11. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I'd recommend anything over DR's .. ack.. they sound good, but feel like @#%^

12. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Taste is different, for example I hate the feeling of warwicks (the black top of the line series) but never had any problems with DRs. And I never heard people complaining about their feel.
    By the way: I think Thomguy is wrong in this thread, it's not about long lasting flatwounds. In my experience all flatwounds last for years. Give me roundwounds that just last and last and last. I'm tired of spending 30$ and more for strings that are dead after 49 hours of playing. It's just a piece of wire... And by looking at the amount of money the string companys spend for advertising, it just seems to me that they make to much money.
    Dirk

13. I've got my second set of Elixers on my '83 Rick 4001 and I must say, they are well worth the price. As Mark posted above, they will last quite a while. I had my first pair of Elixers on my Rick for well over a year, and since they have the nylon coating, they never get finger-cheesey, greasy, rusty, or lose their brightness... (at least mine didn't in over 12 months!)

They also are hella easier on your fingers, and sliding up and down the strings is like buttah. ;)

That's all I can say about Elixers... I know absolutely nothing about flatwounds... 'cept, well, they're flat on one side. :D